Default Denver to Bozeman with the Kids

We are flying to Denver and plan to visit family in Bozeman, MT. Though we will visit with them, we'd also like to visit Yellowstone NP and any other fun/different attractions along the way. The kids are 10, 8, 6, & 4. (Yes, they are all ours, and yes, we are that crazy/brave, lol!) We will arrive in Denver on Jul 17 and have through the 31st to travel/sightsee.

Looking forward to advise from those more familiar with the area and those that are more seasoned road trippers as well. Thanks in advance!

Default There and Back

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Assuming that you will be returning to Denver to catch the flight home, then the 'obvious routing is to use I-25/I-90 in one direction and US-191/I-80 in the other. If you do this in a counter-clockwise direction (although either way works just as well) then some of the places worth visiting en route would include some Oregon Trail sites near Guernsey WY, Ayers Natural Bridge outside Douglas WY, Little Bighorn National Battlefield near Garyowen MT, Yellowstone (of Course), Grand Tetons National Park, Flaming Gorge National Recreation Area, and Rocky Mountain National Park - as well as numerous historical museums, state parks, national wildlife refuges and the like. One thing that you should plan on making extensive use of the Junior Ranger Program at almost all national parks and monuments. Your children will all benefit from the program which has different activities for different age levels and lets them earn certificates, badges, and other souvenirs - and it's free!

AZBuck

Default Family ties and memories.

Quote Originally Posted by CAVarley View Post
    The kids are 10, 8, 6, & 4. (Yes, they are all ours, and yes, we are that crazy/brave, lol!)
    It's neither crazy nor necessarily brave to take your children on such a great trip. Although we never went overseas, we spent many great roadtrips / adventures / holidays with our five children, all those years ago. The memories are everlasting. And even though they are now all around 40, these trips are still discussed.

You might like to get all four - yes, I mean all four - keep a journal. Buy just ordinary school books or such, and each evening help the children record their memories. Even a four year old can draw a picture of an animal or something they saw, stick in the entry ticket to where they went, or include a leaf they may have picked up. Leaving spaces in the journal each day will allow you to print out the photos when you get home, and include them. You might be surprised at how different each child remembers the day.

(Last weekend my daughter and family spent a weekend in Sydney and six year old kept a journal to share with me. Even the two year old was able to talk me through the pages of the journal, from the child like pictures his brother had drawn and the items pasted in with them.)

Lifey

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck View Post
    Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

One thing that you should plan on making extensive use of the Junior Ranger Program at almost all national parks and monuments.

AZBuck
    AZBuck, Thanks what a great idea, you are right, they will love it!

And, Lifey, yes, I too travelled as a child and I love the times that we spent together. I hope that my kids looks back on our trip with fond memories as well. The idea of journaling is a great way to remember all that we see.

Thank you both!

5. Default

Hi there! I posted a similar request but have much less time. I need to get from Denver to Bozeman in 2 days traveling with 3 and 4 year old boys. The Journey needs to be a fun adventure although not a long one.

I will then be driving by myself back to Denver a week later. Still a 24-36 hour time frame to get back... So, I need a little more specific help like 3-5 attractions along the way and what the best routes are. Thanks!

6. Default

I just took trip from Texas to YNP via Denver. I would personally breakdown trip in to how many stops you will need to make sure 3 and 4 years don't get bored.

From Denver to Ft. Collins on I25, US287 from Ft. Collins to Laramie, WY there are one or two stops in between to take break.

From Laramie, WY to Rock Springs WY on I80 , couple rest-stops in between for break
    From Rock Springs to US191 north, good stop at Pinedale, WY nice place for break
    Continue on US191 to Jackson WY another good stop for night
    From Jackson to YNP

On the way back from Bozemen, MT - West Yellowstone MT flat drive
    From West Yellowstone to Rexburg, ID (nice college town nice lunch stop) and surrounding farming community, There are couple small trails at Howard Springs on Route 20
    From RexBurg to Jackson WY (may be another stop for night)
    Back to Denver...

Cheers,