Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: SF to LV

Default SF to LV

We are hoping the Tioga pass will be open when we travel on May 27th.

I have read about famed sequestration, hope it won't mess with my itinerary. Sadly we will be just passing trough, with a quick tour in the Valley on our way from SF to LV.
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 03-22-2013 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Moved trip planning to it's own thread.

Default Detour to South Lake Tahoe?

If Tioga Pass is still closed -- does seem odd to me -- you could detour north to US-50 and go past Lake Tahoe on your way to Las Vegas. (After seeing the valley, of course).

Mark

I personally prefer CA-88 to US-50. It's very scenic and a lot more lightly traveled. It's maintained year round. However, it is somewhat out of the way if you are going directly from SF to Tahoe.

Default Passing through ?

Sadly we will be just passing trough, with a quick tour in the Valley on our way from SF to LV.
    If you mean that you are not planning on an overnight stop between SF and LV you just won't have time to see any of Yosemite unless the Tioga Pass is open, and even then you won't really have time to visit the valley and would be limited to a couple of quick stops on Tioga. If you want to visit Yosemite valley, you really need to plan on at least one overnight stop, and even then you would still be hard pushed to include going up to Lake Tahoe, although possible.

On topic. The weather remains settled up on the pass with a good forecast ahead for the next few days. Despite the cutbacks, I still think you are in with a good chance of getting to drive this spectacular route, but then again I've not got the opening date right yet ! lol

Default Yes, what did you mean by "passing through?"

Quote Originally Posted by Dermeta View Post
    Sadly we will be just passing trough, with a quick tour in the Valley on our way from SF to LV.
    If this really is a one-day trip you'd have to forget Tioga Pass anyway (whether it was open or not). A one-day trip could be done, if you limit yourself to one pass on the loop road in Yosemite Valley -- spending no more than two hours in the valley and then ripping south to CA-99 and then CA-58 to I-15 and on to Las Vegas. But this will be a very long day -- Minimum time on the road will be 12 hours!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sedenquist View Post
    If this really is a one-day trip you'd have to forget Tioga Pass anyway (whether it was open or not). A one-day trip could be done, if you limit yourself to one pass on the loop road in Yosemite Valley -- spending no more than two hours in the valley and then ripping south to CA-99 and then CA-58 to I-15 and on to Las Vegas. But this will be a very long day -- Minimum time on the road will be 12 hours!
    Oh no no, sorry for not being clear about that, we have planned to sleep somewhere around Mammoth Lakes or Bishop, and then continue towards DV and LV. So starting Monday early in the morning from SF, going over Golden Gate, and then turn towards Richmond on 120 to Yosemite, stay in the valley for couple of hours, and then go over Tioga Pass, so we can enjoy the pass, road and sights (Tenaya lake, and other viewpoints) during daylight.

So you suggest in case it is closed, that after Yosemite Valley, we go north to CA-88, sleep there near Tahoe Lake, and next day go to DV and LV. It will be somewhat longer drive, Google says 9hrs without pause in DV, or going south and maybe taking a peek at Sequoia NP.

On the topic, I like current weather forecast, it really looks promising for our trip. ;)

Default A night in the park ?

Personally I would stay in Yosemite, or in a nearby town on the west side of the mountains, and then if Tioga is open [fingers crossed] take that route, if not head south via Lake Isabella to Vegas via Death valley next day. It will be a longer drive on day 2 but at least you will have had time to enjoy Yosemite valley and possibly the chance to drive up to Glacier point in the park. Even if you were to stop in Lee Vining on night one, [if Tioga is open that is] going to Yosemite valley and over Tioga, with a side trip over the GG bridge would be around 7 hours of driving and 3 or 4 hours in Yosemite is barely enough.

If your budget can mange it I would splash out and enjoy a night in the park, the waterfalls will be flowing nicely and as you look around you won't want to leave in a hurry !

Thanks for the info, I noticed that historically Sonora pass opens before Tioga Pass, what if we cut Sierras over that route, instead going north to Tahoe Lake? We have nice lakes in Slovenia too, so not really so interested in Tahoe, I mean it looks nice, but our schedule is pretty tight as we have to be in LV on Wednesday.

Default A good plan 'B' perhaps.

If open, Sonora Pass would be an option, but it is not one I would choose over Tioga Pass if that were open too, not with the time you have available. If Tioga was closed and Sonora open, then you could look at the old goldrush town of Jamestown as a possible place to stop overnight. It would be a long second day and you would need an early start so keep an eye on forecasts and road conditions. The fact a road is open, doesn't always mean it's clear of poor conditions.

To take Sonara pass, you should expect 7 hours of driving to Jamestown/Sonora on day 1, plus time you spend in Yosemite walking around etc. [You can easily spend 4 or 5 hours just in the valley area] Day 2 would be more like a 10 /12hour day with a trip across Death valley and a little time to stop for photos and take in your surroundings.

Thanks for the comment, if they are both open, i will definitely use Tioga, and sleep somewhere between Mammoth Lakes and Bishop.
    Our plan was, that on our way to LV, to take a look at Death Valley NP, like Badwater lake, Natural Bridge and Dante's view, do you have any other suggestions?

When going forward form Bishop, do you recommend taking the 395 until Lone Pine and then go on 190 through DV or from the northern road, 168 and 95 to Beatty. Or should we enter before in DV, for Scotty's castle for a more scenic route?