1. Default Young, beginer, road trippers need advice!

Im 22 and my boyfriend 26 want to go on a road trip to visit friends in Oregon and norther California. We live around Springfield ILL. We were wanting to know some fun places to go along the way and need any advice you might be able to offer for our long journey. We really enjoy camping, nature, drinking, shopping, eating out, and history! There hasn't been much planning going on yet. I have no idea which route we will go. I'm just looking for advice of any kind to start putting this idea into reality.

Tucson, AZ

Default Two Famous, Historic, Scenic Routes

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Your proposed journey seems tailor-made to follow two of the most historic cross-continental routes in America: The Lewis & Clark route and the Oregon Trail. The former roughly follows I-90/I-94 today and the latter roughly follows I-80, so you could easily put together a loop trip that follows one of those routes west bound and the other east bound. Along the way you'd come within easy side trip distance of all of the following: Badlands National Park, Mount Rushmore, Devils Tower, Little Bighorn National Battlefield, Yellowstone, the Columbia River Gorge, Great Salt Lake, Flaming Gorge National Recreation Area, and Rocky Mountain National Park - along with dozens of other lesser known (and less crowded) historic and scenic venues.