Default Which Atlas? Any recommendations please

Hi we're looking into buying a new usa atlas for our 2013 trip (shamefully our current atlas is battered and from 2005!) looking on Amazon there is a plethora of choice. We want one that has major routes etc and also attractions / natural features etc. Years ago we had a Nat Geo one which was fantastic but I can't seem to find an up to date one of these. Any suggestions gratefully received!
    Ring bound is good as we're forever flicking through state pages!
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 03-22-2013 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Moved thread to appropriate forum.

I like my Rand McNally Large Scale. Here is a listing of all 5 Rand McNally versions with features.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 03-25-2013 at 10:09 PM. Reason: changed link to RTA store

Default Maps

You can find descriptions and reviews of several atlases here. I personally favor the Rand McNally Deluxe Motor Carriers' Road Atlas for at-home planning purposes, but it's a bit large and thus unwieldy for in-car use. For actual navigating while on the road, I prefer individual paper maps which can be much larger scale, and thus show far more detail. My absolute all time favorite maps are those by the now defunct General Drafting out of Convent Station, NJ. You can still find these occasionally on-line or at flea markets. When they announced they were going out of business, I stocked up. Most roads built since their demise are of the freeway type and thus show up on all maps. It's the smaller, un-numbered back roads which those maps excelled at showing and which are becoming harder and harder to find represented on any maps.

AZBuck

Thank you very much

Default AAA maps.

Rand McNally is my favourite as well, probably because I have got used to it. I wouldn't ditch the National Geographic one though, you may find that it will have information not found in current atlasses.

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck View Post
    For actual navigating while on the road, I prefer individual paper maps which can be much larger scale, and thus show far more detail.
    If you are a member of AA, be sure to bring your membership with you. It will give you access to free maps from AAA. Their offices are everywhere.

Lifey