1. Default Orlando to Hampton, VA with teens

The title pretty much says it all. We're taking the Autotrain down Easter weekend and need to drive back the following weekend, and have given ourselves Saturday morning to Sunday night to do it.
    Any thoughts about good half-way lodging or "must-see" Roadside stops with teen boys? (I'm already planning that tacky heaven, South of the Border" - lots of childhood memories of my own there...)
    Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by EarthSalt; 03-18-2013 at 07:25 AM. Reason: clarity

Joplin MO

Before you stop at South of the Border, I'd recommend you read the Tripadvisor reviews. They are definitely mixed, and a very common thread is it's nowhere near the place it was years ago and there may be safety issues.

They do have a motel there, and it's quite cheap. Again, mixed reviews.

It's a reasonable 1 day drive from Orlando - but I think I'd spend the night in Florence, Dillon, or Lumberton.

Tucson, AZ

Default Two Distinctly Different Days

Something that possibly might work for you would be to treat your two driving days, Saturday and Sunday, as completely different adventures. Saturday's efforts would be aimed at getting well up I-95 so that you can visit South of the Border while it is still light out, and then continue down (or up) the road a bit before bedding down for the night. Then Sunday would be the day to see a few sights when you have a bit more time and can wander off I-95.

On Saturday, you could still make a few quick stops to stretch your legs and see a bit of the South at places like Harris Neck National Wildlife Refuge or Santee State Park that are within just a few miles of I-95 then spend the night around Fayetteville where you'll have a number of lodging choices. On Sunday, you'd continue up I-95 but only as far as Rocky Mount where you'd take US-64 east to Manteo where the Fort Raleigh National Historic Site preserves the remains and reconstructions of one of the first English settlements in the New World, and the Wright Brothers National Memorial lets you experience the spot where man first experienced powered flight. Then you'd drive up into the Hampton area through the Great Dismal Swamp.

4. Default

Thanks for the feedback on the Border. I hadn't considered that it might have changed so much, but safety is something I'll check. I thought tacky was as bad as it gets :-)
    I should say that, before we leave Orlando Saturday, we have an 8 am Ohana breakfast scheduled at the Polynesian on Disney property, then we head out. NC/SC Border might be too ambitious for the night.
    I'll definitely look into the other towns you suggested, glc.
    And we have been to Manteo a few times on OBX visits, too! We love it there.

Joplin MO

Orlando to Florence is 450 miles, figure about 8 hours with normal necessary stops (fuel, food, bathroom). Florence to Hampton via fastest route is only 320 miles, so the second day would work best for diversions.

If the kids have never seen South of the Border, you do have to at least stop - you just may not want to hang around. I personally wouldn't do it after dark.