Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Rhode Island to Charleston

We are planning a car trip starting in Rhode Island and ending in Charleston SC. We have 6 days to make the trip and are trying to formulate a route that would give us the best sightseeing opportunities. We love seeing the historical sights as well as shopping. We do know that we want to stay out of NYC, Wash DC and Williamsburg. Other than that we are open to ideas. As for places to stay overnight, we usually go for nice hotels, but would be open to B&B's. Help us get started planning this trip.

Welcome!

I can applaud your decision to stay out of the congested I-95 corridor!

Depending on where in RI (I know it's pretty small but there are several ways to get out of it) I'd head for the Hartford area to pick up I-84. Take that to Scranton PA, then go south on I-81. There is a lot of historical stuff on or not far from it, such as Gettysburg. You also have the Amish areas and outlet shopping. You could take the Skyline Drive and/or the Blue Ridge Parkway for some great scenery. I-77/I-26 will get you to Charleston.

If you are making a return trip, you could go up the coast (perhaps going out to the Outer Banks) into the Norfolk area, then the CBBT to the "Eastern Shore", then the ferry to Cape May. You can go up the Jersey Shore, the only hassle then would be getting through the NYC area.

Default Some Details

You can find some specifics about the two general routes that glc has mentioned here. If it's just New York City that you dread, than you can save about 50 miles by using I-287 around the city from Rye NY, over the Tappan Zee Bridge, and connecting with I-78 in Pluckemin NJ.

AZBuck

A small refinement to what Buck suggests - I-95 gets really congested in western CT, you can cut across to the Merritt Parkway (CT-15) at Milford. This is not an option if you are driving a truck, commercial vehicles are not permitted on the Merritt or the Hutchinson River Parkway in NY.

5. Default

looking for suggestions if we were to start in Roanoke Virginia and take the Blue Ridge Parkway to Charleston. Suggestions as to scenic stops we should make as well as any good B&B's or hotels to stay at along the way.
    thanks

Default B.R.P. and I-26

If you are going from Roanoke to Charleston by way of the Blue Ridge Parkway (BRP), then the logical place to leave the BRP is in Asheville and take I-26 from there. Besides the sights and hikes of the BRP itself, a few other attractions on or near the BRP would include the Mabry Mill in the Meadows of Dan, Cumberland Knob near the VA/NC border, and the Emerald Village near Little Switzerland. In Asheville there's the Biltmore Estate, of course, as well as the Folk Art Center, the Headquarters for the BRP, and the North Carolina Arboretum. Then along I-26 there's Carl Sandburg's home in Flat Rock NC, Cowpens National Battlefield, and Congaree National Park. Given how slow travel will be on the BRP and the4 number of sites in the Asheville area, it would seem to make the most sense to find overnight accommodations in or near Asheville.

AZBuck

7. Default

this sounds awesome, and a beautiful way to get to Charleston. A friend has also recommended taking the coastal route from Virginia to Charleston. Any suggestions so we can weigh both ideas and decide which would be best. I really appreciate all of the great ideas we have gotten. thanks

This past summer we took US-17 from Charleston SC to Virginia. Unfortunately, the coastal views were about non-existent. You do have to leave the road to see the ocean. Many times, US-17 is several miles from the coast. If you take BR-17 from Murrells Inlet up to N. Myrtle Beach, you'll see more coastal views, but there's a bit more traffic, too.

Donna

Why don't you take part of the coast road home as I suggested in my first post?

10. Default

does anyone have a direct route from Newport RI to Philadelphia bypassing Boston and NYC? Thanks