Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Honeymoon Roadtrip - From San Fransisco to New york -

Hello,
    Can anyone help, we are looking at doing a road trip from San Francisco to New York its a while off yet 2016, need to get idea of cost and save its our Honeymoon. Looking at July-Aug for about 4 weeks. I have no idea how long it will take or anything, I do hope someone can shed some light. We want to fly from Manchester UK to San Fransico, then include these places at least LA, Las Vegas, Pheonix, Salt Lake City, Oklahoma City, New Orleans, Florida, Washington Dc then New York. Sure I have missed a few but thats a rough guide. How long do y9ou think we will need?? How much do you think it would cost?? Any Tips?? Thanks so much xx

Default Some Rough Rules of Thumb

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

The costs of travel are continually in flux, of course, and depend a great deal on your own travel style, so there can be no exact answer to the question "What will it cost?" But I can offer a few rough guides base on my own experience. Once you arrive in this country, you can expect the car hire to run about $250-300 per week, but this has been going up recently and will be higher if you are younger than 25, possibly higher if you both want to drive, and higher still ($200-300) if you plan to leave the car on the opposite side of the continent from where you pick it up. Petrol prices are also hard to predict, but plan on about 15¢/mile and you shouldn't be too far off for now - who knows what 2016 will bring? As for general expenses - room, board, entrance fees, and the like - I generally count on about $150/day when traveling with my wife and staying at mid-level motels and eating out for a couple of meals a day.

Time-wise, the trip will take exactly as much time as you have to devote to it. Four weeks is certainly enough time to do a once-across-the-country trip with some significant wandering to visit a number of sites. You'll often see a figure here of about 550 mile/day as a comfortable pace for a multi-day RoadTrip. But that's what you can cover in a sold day of driving, still have time for a couple of quick stops, and do again and again. If you want to spend more time at places on the way, plan on doing about half that. If there are places where you want to spend several days, just add those days to your travel total.

As for specifics of places to see on your journey, it's still too early for such details. Just day dream at this point and keep a list of places that appeal to you. It should eventually become evident as to where the major sites are and it's then easy enough to string those together on a basic route and find lesser-known intermediate attractions that will fit your interests as well.

AZBuck

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

You can drive from coast to coast in about a week, although you'd need more time to zig-zag north and south, like going down to Florida. You certainly could have a nice trip in 4 weeks.

Costs are much harder to estimate, because it depends upon how you travel, where you stay, etc. Do know that a one way car rental, cross country, is going to mean several hundred dollars in additional fees compared to returning in the same city.

Are you only planning to spend your weeks exploring cities?

Wow great advice. Thank you so much. I know costs will change, but Its good to know that we can do this, we hope to both drive and by then will be 31 and 33. Paul would love a fancy sporty car ie mustang lol But not sure it will be possible. I would like a convertible to drive, be a shame to miss out on the sun driving about lol. What would you suggest car wise for value or money now?? Miles per gallon etc?? its so nice to think I can get some ideas and tips and advice off people like yourself, don't feel I am going it alone as such now. We need to think about month to do this would you say July-Aug is a good time based on attractions being open and weather??
    Ann-Marie and Paul xx
    Last edited by AZBuck; 03-13-2013 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Removed quote of entire previous post.

Hey hun, thank you for replying to my post.
    We would like to travel in a convertible, Paul would love a Mustang, but I think it just wouldn't be cost effective. So a cost effective convertible would be good. We have thought about motels and maybe a few posh ones in vegas and new york. We would like to explore as much and as many places as possible. We want to see the Grand Can definitely, parks etc everything ideas are very welcome. I have browsed the web to see places and things we could do, we would like to go to a ranch to and stay and ride a few horses, bit of everything really.
    Ann-Marie and Paul xx

Default A loop ?

As has been mentioned, you can drive coast to coast in a week, but it will take longer as your plans involve going from Salt Lake City to LA and Florida to New York. With these destinations in mind I would actually recommend doing a full loop of the country heading across a more northerly route one way and a Southerly route the other. This would also have the cost saving advantage of not having one way drop off fees for your car rental and possibly a significant saving on air fares, especially if you were to start and finish on the east coast for cheaper/shorter flights.

It doesn't always add a huge amount of miles or driving days as you are not Zig-Zagging your way across country quite the same. If you think of the cost of eating out in the UK or staying in a hotel, the comparable dollar cost is similar, the advantage is in the exchange rate which isn't quite so good at the moment. Fuel is a big money saver in cost but you do tend to rack up a whole lot more in mileage. A mid size Sedan/saloon usually offers the best value to comfort for a rental, and although a convertible is nice, it's not so practical and the extra cost would be quite significant over a month. It will be hot in the desert southwest in August and you will probably need the top up and air-con on anyway ! July/August, like here, is the main tourist season and lodging deals will be harder to find. If you have a choice I much prefer travelling in Sept/Oct where the number of tourists and the temps drop off to a comfortable level.

This is defo something we could look at, not stuck to timings just means waiting for honey moon rather than doing it after wedding. We are not stuck to anything so its good to get ideas, like most people we are not made of money so a different route may well be worth considering. Hhmm lots to think about, dont want to miss anywhere but also want to relax and not be rushed. Thank you
    Ann-Marie and Paul xx
    Last edited by AZBuck; 03-13-2013 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Removed quote of entire previous post.

Default Planning is fun too !

I would recommend you go to your local book store and pick up [or order on line] a good map of the USA. You can then start reading around the RTA forums and check out all the planning resources in the tool bars above to help with your research. You will find planning tips, routes, attractions, the RTA mapping programs and a whole lot more to help with your planning. As you find places that appeal to you, mark them on the map and then start to join the dots together. Once you have the basics down, we can help to fill in the blanks and help with the 'fine tuning' and answer any questions that come to mind.

If you enjoy scenic wonders I would recommend you look into Colorado and Southern Utah, and when combined with Arizona, you have everything from Apine 'mountain and Lakes' to Red Rock country to desert scenery and a high concentration of National parks. As well as the Grand canyon there is Rocky mountain, Black canyon, Mesa Verde, Arches, Canyonlands, Bryce canyon and Zion NP's, among many others to choose from. Add to that California where you will find one of the finest of them all, Yosemite NP.

In between you will find City's, scenic roads, mountain towns, Hot springs and so much more ! You won't be able to do it all but you will be able to pick and choose. Planning and dreaming is half the fun, and you have plenty of time to do both and enjoy it.

Dave.

Funny you should suggest a map as just been looking online, its such a massive place and so much to see and do, we have a lot to look at. Like you say map first then start pin pointing definite places, I have cities in mind but would love to visit other places of course. We would have to look at ranches there are some in Utah arent there?? So much to think about, I guess just worried about time as I have no concept on how long it will take I am stuggling with that as I know its just so big. We have no set time frame, I dont know how visas work etc so need to look into this, I have been to America quite a few times but never been in charge of booking or anything to do with this side.
    Ann-Marie xx

Default Esta.

You can visit the States for up to 90 days without a special visa but you will need to apply for authoristaion through the ESTA system.

A full but reasonable day of driving on main highways with rest stops and to fill with up with food and fuel would mean you could cover 500-600 miles a day over 9 or 10 hours, but that wouldn't include main sight seeing stops. Some people like to travel long distances and then hold up in one spot for multiple days and others prefer to do a couple of hundred miles or so, make plenty of stops and keep meandering along. It's a case of working out how you want to go about it and mix things up a bit, so you get to see what you want to see and for how long. However you divide your time up, think of 5000 miles as roughly 10 days of driving. So if you were to travel a total of 7500 miles [15 days] you would spend half your holiday driving and half sight seeing and remember, driving is half the fun.

Once you got the dots on the map we can help you figure out the rest.