1. Default New York To Orlando

Hi

My name is Paul, Iím from Sydney Australia & Iím planning a road trip from New York to Orlando with my wife & daughters 17 & 15.. Hoping for some advice on best places to stay/visit (I95 seems to be the best route, so exits off there I guess. ) Pick SUV up at midday 2nd April 13 & booked in at Orlando hotel evening of 6th April1 13. Any advice/suggestions would be great. We drive on the other side of the road over here so looking for easiest route (I believe that to be I95). So far thinkin about 1st night in Arlington (missus wants to see pentagon/white house ect) and 4th night in Savannah. So f you agree this to be a good idea then need to fill in 2 nights in between, any idea would be much appreciated, missus & daughters luv shopping, I luv all sport (would luv to catch an ice hockey and/or baseball game) and all historic/touristy things. Not on a tight budget but not unlimited either. Am trying to purchasing a book I saw on the net (if I can get it in Aus) I think its called Drive I-95 exit guide. Starting off with 5 days in New York before we head off on road trip.

Thanx heaps

Welcome!

I-95 is far from being the "easiest" route, because it's very heavily traveled and traffic can be a nightmare. However, if you want to get from NYC to Washington DC, there aren't really any better options with only an afternoon to make the drive.

Default Washington, SAvannah, and In Between

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

I think your desire to see Washington DC and Savannah GA are certainly spot on, and I-95 furnishes the most direct and fastest route between New York and Washington, and then between Savannah and Orlando (with a final stretch on I-4). In between Washington and Savannah, it looks as though I-95 is again your only choice, unfortunately. I just wish you had more time to see something of all the country in between other than just the motorway, but you only have four days to see Washington and Savannah, and get from Washington to Orlando. With a day in Washington, and a day in Savannah, that doesn't really leave much time for anything else though.

So, In Washington you'll want to concentrate on the National Mall including the Smithsonian. And while tours of the Pentagon are available, it's basically just a big office building, and you can get a good view of it from the road if you leave downtown Washington on I-395. Savannah is built around a number of Squares, and they should probably form the core of your visit there. In between, I'd probably look at staying overnight in Florence SC. It's one of the few fair-sized cities between Richmond and Savannah, and lets you get well on down the road form DC to Savannah.

As for catching a ball game, the Nationals will be at home on April 3rd playing the Miami Marlins and that's your best (perhaps only) chance to catch a major league baseball game on this trip except for possibly a game in Tampa on the 7th. However, if you want a more intimate, and certainly cheaper, baseball experience, you should look into catching a minor league game in either the Southern or Carolina Leagues.

AZBuck

4. Default

Thanx mate,

was just lookin at google maps, would I have a more scenic route if I lost a couple af hours and took I-81 or I-85 instead of I-95

I-81 is considerably more scenic than I-95. That's how I usually recommend people go up and down the east coast if time is not a major factor.