Default Aussie driving Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Moab, Glenwood Springs, Frisco CO

Greetings from Sydney Australia where it is presently sunny and hot!! I was hoping for a little help.

I will driving from Las Vegas in late October 2013 via Grand Canyon and then through Monument Valley, Moab, Glenwood Springs and up to Frisco Colorado where I will remain for a further 5 or so weeks. I have rented a Ford Escape (or similar) for the trip which is a 2 wheel drive and comes with all weather tires. Should I be expecting snow around Monument Valley, Moab, Glenwood Springs at this time of year? Are 'all weather tires' suitable to drive in snow (including Frisco) and would I need to carry chains? Finally, are there plenty of gas stations in between Grand Canyon up to Glenwood Springs? I look forward to reading any advice / suggestions.

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

You should have no problems with the vehicle. All-Weather tires are just that, made for a little bit of everything, and can get through bad weather ok. They're not as good as snow tires in snow, obviously, just as they aren't as good in summer as a high performance tire, but they are what the vast majority of cars on the road use. 2 wheel drive should also not be a big problem at all.

It is possible that you'd see a winter storm by the time you get into late October, however, if conditions are so bad that you need chains, you're better off waiting for conditions to improve.

There should be no problem at all with gas stations.

Welcome!

A 2wd (front wheel) with all-season tires will be sufficient, and it will be doubtful that you would need chains. You will probably see some snow in Colorado, but the DOT does an excellent job keeping the major highways clear. If it's THAT bad where you would need chains, they usually close the road completely till they can clear it, and you shouldn't even be out in it.

Plenty of gas, I can't think of anywhere where you would be more than 50 miles from the next gas station. It's not difficult planning your fuel stops in the larger towns.

Fantastic!!! Thank you for your prompt replies and advice. We are very exciting about doing a road trip through the US. So much to see and do.

Default Vegas to Glenwood.

I will driving from Las Vegas in late October 2013 via Grand Canyon and then through Monument Valley, Moab, Glenwood Springs and up to Frisco Colorado where I will remain for a further 5 or so weeks.
    Wow ! Sounds like an amazing trip and October is one of our favourite times to travel these parts. Yes you could see snow in the Rockies and very cold temps, especially as it appears you will be there most of November, so take warm layered clotihng. From Vegas to Moab it's not uncommon to see daytime temps in the 70's.[F] There are a lot of great attractions/National parks and scenic routes from Vegas to Frisco, so be sure to allow plenty of time for the first part of your adventure !

We once left snow and ice and -11C temps in Colorado behind and a few hours later were in Arches NP [Moab] where the temps were 24C [mid 70f], quite a contrast !!

Hmm a thought, if it isn't already booked have you thought about starting out from Denver to Glenwood Springs and then to Vegas, it could make the weather work more in your favour, but not guaranteed !