1. Default Olympia, wa to Redwoods to Lake Tahoe

Hi, My family and I are going to take our first road trip this summer! So excited. We are planning to leave 6/29/13 and would like to be home by 7/6/13. At first hubby and i thought we would just drive straight through to lake tahoe but then we figured we could take two days or so to get there and go see the Redwoods first and make ou\r way from there. I have never planned a road trip before and would appreciate any suggestions on the best routes to travel. I also cant figure out if we should stay in north tahoe or south tahoe? And i am having a hard time finding a place to stay that is affordable but can sleep 5 people and might have a small kitchen or something for cooking. Any suggestions? experience? Our oldest son is 18 and we will have a 9 and 11 yr old with us, so i am having a time trying to figure things to do that will be exciting for them all. Im not sure if 2days travel time is realistic, esp if we want to go to the redwoods on the way down. Im not sure what a good stopping place would be the first day to make sure we dont have to far to go the next day to the forest. Also would we have to go to san fransico and then cut over to tahoe? Any suggestions or places to see would be so helpful. Thanks in advance for your help. :)

For the accommodations, you can try,,, etc. I've used vbro for at least a decade and love it since renting a private house is usually comparable in price to just a hotel room - arrival time just usually needs to be within a normal time window unless you make prior arrangements if you'll be getting in late.

Joplin MO

It is NOT realistic to expect to drive from Olympia to Tahoe in one day, it's almost 800 miles via fastest route (I-5 to Sacramento, then US-50 or I-80). South Tahoe is the most affordable and has the biggest selection of lodging.

If you took 2 days, you would have a little fudge time to see some redwoods. Take I-5 to Grants Pass, then US-199 to US-101. Spend the night in Crescent City. If you arrive early enough, there are a few parks very close and/or you could possibly head on to Eureka for the night.

Next day, take 101 south and visit the parks you want - I'd highly recommend the Avenue of the Giants, which is in the Humboldt Redwoods State Park south of Fortuna.

The best way back to I-5 is CA-20 just north of Ukiah. For planning purposes, it's about 4.5 hours from Ukiah to SLT via 20/5/50, you may want to spend the second night around Sacto.