1. Default family road trip from orange county to grand canyon - 4-5 days

My family of 5 is planning on taking a mini road trip to grand canyon from orange county in first week of april for spring break. I know it's last minute thus need all the advise possible since all the hotel inside the park are booked. My kids are 6-12 years old so I don't know if it's best to just drive straight to GC in one day? Is the route there interesting? Any sightseeing opportunities on the way? My plan is to take 1 day to drive to GC, then stay there for two nights, then depart to vegas on 3rd days spend a night there then drive home the following night. I heard about zion and bryce national park and would love to go there too but not sure if we can fit both or at least one of those park in. Any advise would be awesome!

Thanks!

Welcome!

You can drive from LA to the GC in one LONG day, I-15 to I-40 to AZ-64. What you could do is spend the night in Williams, which has some reasonably priced hotels. It will take you just over an hour to get from there to the park.

It takes about 5 hours to get from the GC to LV, add an hour if you take old 66 from Seligman to Kingman.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    Welcome!

You can drive from LA to the GC in one LONG day, I-15 to I-40 to AZ-64. What you could do is spend the night in Williams, which has some reasonably priced hotels. It will take you just over an hour to get from there to the park.

It takes about 5 hours to get from the GC to LV, add an hour if you take old 66 from Seligman to Kingman.
    Thanks! Is there anything interesting to do in Williams? if it's just 1 hr away, I thought maybe i can just go straight to GC and stay in one of the hotel outside the park then get up early to go into the park to catch the sunrise. Also i heard about smooth water rafting in Page, Az? Is that something the kids can do and is that closed by or on the way to vegas? I figure with young kids, i'd not be doing lots of hiking down the rim.

You can certainly stay in a hotel in Tusayan right outside the park, but they are quite costly - it's hard finding a room for under $150 a night. I would plan on spending the whole day, or close to it, at the GC.

You can certainly go from the GC to LV via Page and Zion, but you would be hard pressed to do that in 1 day right now, AZ-89 had a road collapse south of Page and the detour is substantial. If you want to do something like that, I'd spend the second night at the Cameron Trading Post, which is about 30 minutes east of the park on US-89. Take 89 north to the barricades, then take 89A to Kanab to rejoin 89 (this will bypass Page) and you can go in the eastern entrance to Zion for a quick look. Cameron to Zion is about 4 hours, then from there it's about 3 hours to LV.

If you want to go to Page, the detour is US-160 to AZ-98, and it adds about an hour to the trip. It will take 2.5 hours from Cameron to Page, and another 2.5 hours from there to Zion. Zion could be bypassed by taking AZ-389/UT-59 from Fredonia to Hurricane.

Williams is an old Route 66 town, there's a visitor center in the old train depot downtown.

Default Monument valley ?

Page is out of your way and given the time you have available would mean more time during the day in the car than out of it, although possible. Tusayan is the nearest lodging to GC and yes you could continue there. If you spent the following day and a half at GC and made your way to Vegas you could spend a full day/night there before heading back to LA, if you have the 5 days that is.

Another option is y ou could spend the first night in Flagstaff and then head to Monument valley next morning and then to the GC, or stop at the Cameron Trading post which is near the east entry point to the South rim on 64. This takes you along Desert view drive [that has quite a few viewpoints along it] as you make your way to the village area. So you could go LA to Flagstaff >Monument valley to Cameron Trading post [or in the park] >Tusayan [or in the park] >Las Vegas > home.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    You can certainly stay in a hotel in Tusayan right outside the park, but they are quite costly - it's hard finding a room for under $150 a night. I would plan on spending the whole day, or close to it, at the GC.

You can certainly go from the GC to LV via Page and Zion, but you would be hard pressed to do that in 1 day right now, AZ-89 had a road collapse south of Page and the detour is substantial. If you want to do something like that, I'd spend the second night at the Cameron Trading Post, which is about 30 minutes east of the park on US-89. Take 89 north to the barricades, then take 89A to Kanab to rejoin 89 (this will bypass Page) and you can go in the eastern entrance to Zion for a quick look. Cameron to Zion is about 4 hours, then from there it's about 3 hours to LV.

If you want to go to Page, the detour is US-160 to AZ-98, and it adds about an hour to the trip. It will take 2.5 hours from Cameron to Page, and another 2.5 hours from there to Zion. Zion could be bypassed by taking AZ-389/UT-59 from Fredonia to Hurricane.

Williams is an old Route 66 town, there's a visitor center in the old train depot downtown.
    Thanks for the tips about the closure! I might have to re-think about visiting Page or Zion if it would take much longer due to detour. You're absolutely correct that the price in Tusayan is much more expensive for the mediocre accomodation. I might look into Williams afterall.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    Page is out of your way and given the time you have available would mean more time during the day in the car than out of it, although possible. Tusayan is the nearest lodging to GC and yes you could continue there. If you spent the following day and a half at GC and made your way to Vegas you could spend a full day/night there before heading back to LA, if you have the 5 days that is.

Another option is y ou could spend the first night in Flagstaff and then head to Monument valley next morning and then to the GC, or stop at the Cameron Trading post which is near the east entry point to the South rim on 64. This takes you along Desert view drive [that has quite a few viewpoints along it] as you make your way to the village area. So you could go LA to Flagstaff >Monument valley to Cameron Trading post [or in the park] >Tusayan [or in the park] >Las Vegas > home.
    Thank you for tips. I will look into the destination sugested now that there's an issue with detour for Page. But any chance is there another location that have Smooth water rafting aside from Page?