1. Default Portland, OR --> Memphis, TN .. kind of Spring. 3/16 - ? /first road trip!

Hi all,
    I am relocating from Portland, OR to Memphis, TN for work. I don't have to start until the beginning of April but I would like to get there before the 24th or 25th of March to get settled in to my new place. I have never gone on a major road trip and I am open to and after all sorts of different advice and suggestions. I am not in a large rush and would love to travel through some scenic areas of the country I have never seen before (most of middle America). I drive a Mazda 3, so I want to make sure I don't run into too rough of weather. Thank you in advance for any advice you may have.

South of England.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

This is a journey that could be completed in 4.5 to 5 days in reasonably comfort without major sight seeing. With 8 or 9 days available you are going to have time to 'wander' a little and take in some sights. What they are would depend on what your interests are, but for some amazing and diverse scenery the Four corners region offers it all. The National parks of Southern Utah [Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef, Arches and Canyonlands are all amazing in their own special way. It would be possible to visit the Grand canyon and Monument valley in Arizona, some Alpine scenery in Colorado and a mix of desert and mountains in New Mexico. As you head east you could visit the Ozarks and a number of other stops. Of course there are plenty of other choices for you to consider, it really is up to you.

The good thing about travelling this time of year is that there is no real need to book in advance. The weather is unpredictable and you will need to keep up with forecasts and road conditions as you travel and if need be, adjust your route as you go, or hold up for a few hours or a night while a weather system passes. I would suggest you search around the RTA forums and planning pages in the tool bars above [check out the Map centre where you can create routes and find attractions] with a good paper map to hand and start marking points of interest, then you will be able to start joining the dots.

As for your vehicle, it will be fine. Interstates are a priority to keep clear and traffic moving, but that's not to say you shouldn't get off them if the conditions are right. If the weather is such that a 2 wheel drive can't cope, then it's time to pull off the road and let the storm pass and the road crews do the job of clearing, no matter what vehicle you are in, 4x4 or otherwise !