Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Laptop / Tablet / Apps

Hi, Im new to the tablet world of computers.

I have just purchases a Dell Laptop / Tablet combination for our upcoming trip and hopefully see it in a week or so.
    Mainly for my photography and the size of the computer weight wise.
    With best of both worlds I can use it as a laptop or fold the keyboard away and use it as a tablet.I have a small external hard drive I take with me for backing up my photos.

Does anyone know about the "apps" tha can be downloaded and used while travelling. I have found one on the Blue Ridge Parkway and one on New Oleans so far.
    Im a bit behindthe times with computers,Apps, Smartphones etc. I was thinking of maybe picking up some mapping software / CD to use while travelling.

Any help would be muchly appreciated.

John

Default MS Streets & Trips

Hi John, technology is not exactly my forte, and since I still use a dumb phone, cannot help you with any of that part.

But if you are looking for a mapping program, you might like to look at Microsoft Streets and Trips. I was fortunate to have glc help me get that on my computer, but I have to confess, I do not use if often enough. However, he swears by it, and uses it all the time. Once you get used to it, it is easy and very useful.

Lifey

Can I assume the Dell has Windows 8?

Streets & Trips 2013 with a USB GPS module is about $50 USD. I don't know if it's compatible with the touchscreen mode of Windows 8, but I understand it works fine with standard keyboard and mouse. It will not be as up-to-date as Google Maps but it will work standalone without an active Internet connection. It requires a DVD drive for installation, but once installed, you won't need the DVD. It's less expensive without the GPS module. The 2014 version may or may not be out when you get here.

I'd recommend you get a car cord for the laptop so you can run it in the vehicle without draining its battery - and charge it. It plugs into the lighter socket/power point.

Thanks gls. I have a small inverter that we bring with us plus the van has one as well as a second battery.
    I can use the laptop as touchscreen or as a laptop with a mouse.I will be running windows 8 as well.
    Ill have a look as soon as we get to the US.Is there any special store we should look for to purchase.

John

Most stores that sell software will have it - at varying prices. Best Buy, Staples, Office Depot, etc., possibly Walmart and Target. Online, it appears the cheapest is amazon.com but I don't think that's going to help you.

Thankyou glc. I dont need it for the first few days as we are going from LA to Albuquerque before heading to New Oleans. Hopefully we should be able to pick it up before then.
    I might even start shopping around now. I have a hand held GPS but I dont think I want to muck around with that too much and just use the map for reference.

I have an old laptop in the truck with S&T and a GPS module - I don't use the GPS function for directions, I use it simply to show me exactly where I'm at. If I want directions and driving guidance my smartphone has a GPS that interfaces with Google maps. This does use cellular data.

We also need to look at some sort of mobile phone setup. Last time we left our phones turned on and they went to roam, and cost us a fortune. I might have to loo at buying a prepaid plan for the 2 months we are in the USA. Not sure whether to get prepaid internet or just wait for freee wifi as we travel.

I'd recommend a cheap prepaid pay by the minute phone (such as an AT&T Go Phone) for voice calls - wifi is easy enough to find to serve your Internet needs. In fact, you can even sometimes find wifi where there's no cell coverage.

Default Maps and GPS

Hi
    I have downladed a free 14 day trial of streets and maps.Its very user friendly program.

I checked out the website and there is a Microsoft outlet in LA not far from where we pick the van up. I think I will get the 2013 map with the USB GPS attachemnt.All up at the moment for about $49 US. Will definetly keep the co pilot alert and intereted.
    Thanks for the tip Lify snd glc

John