1. Default RV trip for 5 families

Last spring break, my family and 4 other families (totalling 15 kids) flew from Oakland, CA to Vegas. We picked up RV's in Vegas and toured the Grand Canyon, Bryce and Zion. We are already looking ahead to another trip but are stumped on where to go. Kids range in age from 5 - 13.
    Any suggestions? We could go north to Oregon. We could fly in near Yellowstone and do that and the Grand Tetons. We only will have a week.

We'd love suggestions. Thanks!

Bonny Hills , Australia

Default Just of the top of my head

LA- Sequia NP, Kings Canyon, Yosemite NP,San Francisco, Redwood NP, Crater Lake NP, Portland,The Dalles, Columbia River Gorge, Mount Rainer NP, Olympic NP, Glacier NP, Jackson, Grand Tetons and maybe Yellowstone,Salt Lake City, Utah and Arches NP,Canyonlands and Maybe onto Monument Valley and on and on.
    Thats just a few that I can think of without a map. Plenty of beautiful places. I hope to cover a few of these in May.

Melbourne, Australia

Default A good large map.

Hi, and Welcome to the The Great American RoadTrip forum!

As posted above, there is absolutely no shortage of places to visit in spring break. I'm not sure I would make the northern NPs my choice, as much of them will still be closed. But there is so much in California, Utah, Arizona, etc.

Best thing you can do now is get out a good large (pref wall sized) map of the US, and sit down with the five families to decide on a destination. I particularly like the National Geographics map for all the detail it has of all the NPs, forests and SPs. The hardest will be to decide which to leave out. (Why not have a map up on the wall permanently?)

Green County, Wisconsin

If your next trip will also be for spring break, then Yellowstone would probably not be a good choice. Most of the park is closed to car traffic until May.

South of England.

Default A weeks worth.

As Lifey mentioned, it's something you all need to sit down and work out amongst yourselves, but also agree that Yellowstone etc might not be the best choice for weather and park restrictions.

Having said that my suggestion would be a loop from Denver to Moab and back with lots of great scenery, and a drive that could suit the time you have available. You would however be driving through the Rockies and weather is more unpredictable in such places, but once you reach Utah you have a better chance of 'Spring like' weather. The lower elevation area of Rocky mountain NP around Bear Lake could be an option, but I would consider heading straight out along I70 [one of the most scenic of all Interstates] towards Arches and Canyonlands NP's near Moab. You could do this in a single day, or you could stop overnight on the way. If you were picking up the RV and hitting the road the same day this would be advisable. You could stop at Glenwood Springs, or there is a nice Colorado river State park campground in Fruita. Nearby is the Colorado National Monument and it's wonderful rim drive, but be warned the rim drive has 3 tunnels which are pretty tight with regards to height and RV's on the near side where the arch is at it's lowest !

You could easily spend 2 or 3 days exploring Arches and the 'Island in the Sky' section of Canyonlands, as well as 'Dead Horse point. From Moab head south on US191 to US491 to Cortez and Mesa Verde NP. From Durango [the Kids would love the Durango to Silverton mountain train] head north on 550 and along the spectacular 'Million Dollar Highway' through the lovely mountain towns of Ouray and Silverton to Montrose and then head east on US50 past Black canyon, through Currecanti Nat Rec area and over the continental divide at Monarch Pass. These mountain roads are main highways and in good shape, and although twisty in places with high passes making it slower going, it's not a problem for RV's to travel, but you will need to keep a close eye on weather and road conditions as you travel.

Once you are over Monarch you will arrive to Poncha Springs where you can head north and make your way back to Denver. It would make for a pleasant trip taking a couple of days to get there, and then splitting the remaining 5 days remaining between sight seeing around Moab and visiting some of the sites on the way back.