Default Orlando to Los Angeles Road-Trip

Hey guys,

My friend and I (Both mid-20s) are travelling to the USA (from Australia) from 16 November to 5 December. We fly in and out of Los Angeles but we are thinking of heading over to Orlando to meet friends and then driving back.
    I've had a look into rental costs and one way rentals so I have a fair idea of what to expect for that.

We are looking at doing the following:
    Pensacola/Gulf Shores?
    New Orleans
    San Antonio/Houston/Austin/Dallas
    Four Corners
    Grand Canyon
    Los Angeles
    (or in reverse!)

I also have to take my friend to New York - I've been before but this is her first time so my current plan is to go for a few days before hand or at the end.

We are unsure of how long we would need at each destination or if there are some we could leave out and others we can add.
    We are both music fans which is why we are wanting to head up to Nashville so that has to stay. We are interested in a lot of history and general fun activities - any suggestions would be great!

Melbourne, Australia

Default From one Melbournian to another.

Hi, and Welcome to the Great American Road Trip forum.

One of the first things you may like to do is get out a large, wall size, map of the US. I like the National Geographic Map for all the features it shows, but there are many other good ones out there. Alternatively, you could look into getting a road atlas, such as the Rand McNally. I have seen this on sale in Map World and similar shop, but even with postage, it is usually cheaper to get it direct. Worth having for all the information of what there is to see along the way. It also highlights the scenic routes, if they interest you.

I guess it depends on how long you wish to stay in Orlando, but have you thought of continuing your road trip up the east coast, to NYC?

As a little aside, if you are a member of RACV make sure you take your membership with you. It will give you access to free maps and tourist information from the AAA.

Tucson, AZ

Default A 50/50 Mix

By my reading, and leaving you a day each at the start and end of your trip to get over the transoceanic jet lag and ensure that you make your flights, you have right around 16-17 days for your internal RoadTrip. If you substitute New York City (to drop off your friend) for Pensecola, then you're looking at needing about 8½-9 days of driving to hit all your listed destinations. That would leave you somewhere around 8 days to spread amongst those destinations as 'down time' where you're just kicking back and enjoying the music scene of checking out the incredible scenery. I would also think that one day would be sufficient in places like Nashville and Austin where you could arrive one evening, hit the clubs, get a good night's sleep, explore the city and its surroundings the next day, have another evening of music and fun and then hit the road again the next morning. All that would count as 'one day' in the city.

By substituting New York for Pensecola, not only do you get your friend there but you get to explore a bit of the east coast including some of our older historic cities as well as oceanfront parks such as Cumberland Island, Cape Hatteras, and Assateague Island National Seashores. Then on your way down to Nashville, you could follow the Blue Ridge Parkway to the Great Smoky Mountains for some scenery, and then use another great road, the Natchez Trace to get to New Orleans. In fact, there are scenic byways and great little stops everywhere along your route, so if the basic outline works for you it is, as others have noted, time to start mapping out the details on a good atlas and seeing what else you can fit in.