1. Default Vancouver to San Francisco

I'm so happy I've found this site!! I am taking a 3 week road trip with one of my girlfriends, going from Vancouver to San Francisco. From the end of April until mid May. We will drive along the coast the way down, and maybe venture inland for the way back. We are both 30 and are by no means rich, but are past our hitchhiking cheap days. I am a big nature lover,so that will be the focus. I would love to get advice on the best scenic drives, wine tours that aren't too expensive, and whatever else you think is noteworthy.
    Thanks for the help!!

South of England.

Default So many options !

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

A common theme here at RTA is that there are no single 'best' or 'must do' routes and places, as that is an individual thing that makes each roadtrip unique to the individual. With 3 weeks you certainly have no shortage of options fo an amazing trip. Heading south down the coast has the advantage of the ocean being on your side of the road and a visit to the Redwood parks and wine regions are a big part of the experience. You could continue south of San Fran, driving the scenic coast Highway [CA1] around Big Sur between Monterey and Cambria, one of the worlds finest coastal drives with quite a few things to see and do along the way. [17 mile drive, Monterey Aquarium , Hearst Castle, and the State parks/ seaside towns].

Inland you have Yosemite and Sequoia NP's in California and Crater Lake in Oregon, all may still have limited access due to winter snow accumulation, but still worth consideration. In Yosemite the waterfalls should be around full flow and make for a wonderful spectacle. There are places like Lassen Volcanic NP, McArthur Burney Falls and the Columbia River Gorge among many others, it wouldn't be an impossibility to consider visiting the Grand canyon and then head north through Utah and visit some of the wonderful National parks there. A lot will come down to your personal style of travel, whether you like to spend multiple days in a few places, or keep on the move.

I would recommend searching around the forums [you can find 'Similar threads' at the bottom of this page] and other RTA planning pages in the tool bars above, [map centre for creating routes and finding attractions along them] as well as study a good paper map. Once you have an outline of what you would like to do we can help to fill in any blanks, help to 'fine tune' your plans and answer any other questions.

Enjoy the planning, it's a fun part of the adventure !

Southern California

We found that in Sonoma and Napa Valley, most wineries hold very inexpensive, if not free, tours. Some of the free ones may or may not come with free tastings.

Sonoma and Napa Valleys are just north of San Francisco.