Thread: Isle Royale

Default Isle Royale

My family is planning a trip up to Isle Royale this summer, and I was hoping someone could help me figure out how much time I need to take off to really see the island. I was thinking I would take off 2 weeks. I figure it will take me 2 days to drive up there and 2 days to drive back, so I wanted to know if 10 days is enough to fully explore/enjoy the island? I know the island is quite large, and we would like to see as much of it as possible.

Default There's Never Enough Time for Everything

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

I would love to have ten days to spend on Isle Royale. Just getting away from cars (not allowed on the island) would be a godsend, even to an inveterate RoadTripper. The thing is, though, that not having a car means that you will need to see the interior of the island on foot, and the shoreline by motor vessel (MV). There are at least half a dozen different guided 'cruises' to various parts of the island, and as many Ranger-led hikes and talks just near one of the main visitors center (Windigo) on the island. The whole point of visiting a pace like Isle Royale is to step back in (and out of) time and just relax and enjoy nature. So that's what I'd do, and not worry about fitting in "as much of it as possible".

AZBuck

I am kind of worried more about if we can do this route with a 12 year old and a 14 year old. We want to start out at wendigo on the western side, and backpack on the northern side all the way to rock harbor, and the turn around and go up greenstone ridge to get back to wendigo. It comes out to be about 75 miles in 10 days, I figure we will be at least a bit slowed down by the kids. Do you think this is too much for their first major backpacking trip? Do we need to lengthen the trip so we can have shorter days for the kids?

Default Not My Call

How much your kids can accomplish and, more importantly, will enjoy hiking on a given day or over a couple of weeks is not something I can advise you on. That depends entirely on their level of comfort and experience with being outdoors, things I have no knowledge of. If they have been on previous, shorter hiking trips with at least through a couple of days of 8-10 mile hikes and have done well, then this should be fine. But if your experience is that they start to complain after a few miles or on a second day of effort, then you're asking for trouble. The advantage of starting out for a longer trek on Isle Royale is that you have an out or two. If the trekking proves to be too much, then you can set Rock Harbor as you final rather than half-way goal, and return to Windigo by MV. You could even opt out sooner by heading for Minong Mine or Daisy Farm where the boats also put in.

The two things I would suggest are to first talk this over thoroughly with the kids and get their buy-in, not just their reluctant acquiescence, and secondly reverse your route so that you're doing the more strenuous trek along the ridge top first so that you do that while you're all fresh. Then your hike 'home' is the easier of the two legs.

AZBuck

Good advice.
    I'm gonna sit them down to talk when they get back from their friend's house tomorrow.
    Very good advice about the reversal, didn't even think about the incline, that wouldn't have been pretty.