1. Default Road Trip - Ohio to Calgary, Vancouver, Washington, Idaho, Utah, Colorado-30 days

Any ideas of places, scenic roads/drives, off road drives, national park attractions we should put on the list of things to see/do?

This is a road trip with only two dates scheduled - plane into Calgary and flight home from Seattle (wife - portion of the trip)
    We do not want to be tied to a tight, interesting things we find along the way....will dictate the plans....

Vehicle - Jeep Rubicon 4 door
    Leave June 27th head towards Wyoming - Yellowstone, etc, north to Glacier National park, Calgary - wife flying there July 3
    We will see, Banff, Lake Louise, Yoho, Jasper National Parks - then west to Whistler, Vancouver, Victoria, Pacific Rim national park, Seattle
    Wife fly home July 13

I will then be off to see back roads of Washington, Idaho, Utah, Colorado and home to Ohio by Late July (27th a target date)
    Just starting to make a list of places for each state/area.....books,, etc

If you think getting rooms in some areas will be a problem....let me know....I will/can camp when by myself

All help will be appreciated! Books, websites, etc

Thank you

Tucson, AZ

Default Some Sites that Should Fit

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Obviously, you're going to be covering a lot of ground. That's both good and bad as you will be passing within visiting distance of many more interesting spots than you'll really have time to visit. On your first leg out to Calgary, you've only got 5 days or so, depending on what time your wife's flight lands, but you've got four days of driving on anything like a reasonable driving schedule of say 550 miles per day. Still that leaves time for a few hours at each of a few sites en route. I'd suggest staying on I-94 all the way through North Dakota and making Theodore Roosevelt National Park one stop where you spend a bit of time. You'd then use MT-200S and MT-13 to connect with US-2 and maybe visit the Charles M Russell National Wildlife Refuge. Leave US-2 at Havre MT and head north on MT-232 to the Canadian Border where you change to AB-41 north to the Trans-Canada Highway, AB-1 into Calgary.

For the second leg, after your wife joins you, you've already picked out some of the best parks and scenic attractions. In Victoria, Stanley Park is a must. I'd also strongly suggest that you make a reservation for the crossing from Vancouver (Tsawwassen) to Vancouver Island (Swartz Bay) especially as this is going to be a summer crossing. The ferries are really quite comfortable, the journey is very scenic, and they typically will have a half hour (or so) lecture by a naturalist that you should find interesting. On the Island, Butchart Gardens are a definite must, as is a stroll around the harbor area in Victoria to see and perhaps visit the Parliament Building, the Natural History Museum and the Fairmont Empress. You should also look into taking a different ferry back, from Victoria to Port Angeles on the Olympic Peninsula. This would put you in position to visit Olympic National Park on your way to Seattle.

You've got quite a bit more time for you solo(?) return home after Seattle - it looks like a couple of weeks. That's plenty of time to wander about the back roads as you say, but a few general hints would be to try to include US-89 south from Yellowstone to the Salt Lake area, and then wander in a more or less northeasterly direction back through Wyoming headed for western South Dakota where the Rapid City region has a whole lot more to offer than just Mount Rushmore including Devils Tower, Wind and Jewel Caves, the Crazy Horse Memorial, and Badlands National Park.