1. Default Kiwis road-tripping in the South, Winter 2013

Hi there - my three adult children and I are planning a 3 week road trip in December 2013 through the southern states - beginning in New Orleans. We plan to fly into New Orleans and spend three or four days there, then pick up a rental car and start driving. We are interested in music, food, nature and history. I've been doing a bit of research - I've read the Lonely Planet guide, but would really appreciate some help. We don't need to end up in New Orleans before flying back to Los Angeles - I was thinking we could perhaps end our journey in Savannah, Georgia? All advice extremely welcome. Thank you so much in advance.

Tucson, AZ

Default Some Basic Sites in the South

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

The southeastern Untied States is replete with scenic and historic sites. Just a few that you might want to work into your plans are the Creole Nature Trail in southwestern Louisiana, Natchez MS, Old Cahawba outside Selma AL, Selma and Montgomery AL, FDR's Little White House in Warm Springs GA, Andersonville Prison, Savannah GA, both Fort Sumter and the CSS Hunley in Charleston SC, Okefenokee Swamp in southeastern Georgia, St. Augustine FL, and Kennedy Space Center just for starters. With three weeks, you can go even a bit farther afield and do some of the northern South and visit the Outer Banks of North Carolina, the Great Smoky Mountains, even Mammoth Caves and Memphis.

And while it may not be necessary to return to New Orleans, it would be cheaper. and doing a broad loop will allow you to see a bit more of the South without zigzagging back and forth.

3. Default

Thank you so much. I am going to get a big map of the area and start planning my route. I will come back in case you have further suggestions/information once I've got a basic plan. Thanks again.