There is a film festival I was invited to in Los Angeles and I was thinking of taking a plane to LA and driving back to Miami via road trip. I will be traveling with my Girlfriend and another friend. This will be the first time traveling cross country on car, and I am coming here for advice. My longest road trip was from Miami to New York. I have a couple of questions. Please bare with me as I am new to this and what my seem like commons sense isn't at times.
1) How do car rentals work? Can I rent in LA and return in Miami? I'm pretty sure I can, just want to verify.
2) We plan on sight seeing within a 10 day period. What are some routes we can take that are interesting yet wouldn't delay us that much? We are planning on doing Las Vegas, and The Grand Canyon so far. Any other interesting sights. We would also like to stop in Texas.
3) How does lodging work? I'm interested in something better than a road side motel unless necessary. Maybe a nice breakfast and bed to someone that rents out rooms in a big house? Do those exists anymore? Any recommendations?
4) What happens if you're pulled over? How do you deal with cops if you're not from the state?
5) How safe is it?
6) How much comfort is needed for 3 people? Four door sedan or larger?
I just found out about this site and intend to use the resources to answer my own questions. But I wouldn't mind some in life experience answers from real people.