Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    panny27 Guest

Default Hartford to Orlando

I will be Driving From Hartford to Orlando leaving Thursday April 11th at 2PM, after school. My plan is the tapansee Bridge and either the Garden state to 95 or (40 miles longer via 287 to 78 15 to washington). my question would be how is the traffic on 287 and 78 between 4-7 pm versus going garden state to NJ turnpike towards baltimore at 4-7. any help making my decision of route would be appreciated. we have 3 drivers and plan on going all the way with no stops for sleep but are ok with 3 stops for dinner, breakfast and or brunch and gas soda coffee
    Last edited by panny27; 02-17-2013 at 10:40 AM.

Welcome!

You should NOT try to make this trip with no overnight stops, no matter how many drivers you have. This is a 1200+ mile drive and it NEEDS to be broken up into 2 days.

I would avoid the I-95 corridor from NYC to DC completely. Take I-84 to Scranton, then I-81 to Wytheville VA, I-77 to Columbia SC, then I-26 to I-95. This adds 100 miles to the trip, but the extra 2 hours that takes on paper WILL be eaten up by traffic if you hit the NYC to DC corridor anywhere near rush hour no matter what roads you take. This also avoids almost all tolls, which are considerable going the other way.

If you leave at 2pm, you will be somewhere around Harrisonburg or Staunton VA around midnight - please stop and get a hotel room and try to get several hours sleep. If you get back on the road early in the morning, you should be able to make it to Orlando that night, even though it's more miles than we recommend you drive in one day. Use our recommended "speed run" procedures for a 3 driver rotation.

I can't stress enough how dangerous this trip would be trying to drive it straight through after having been up for several hours before leaving. Normally, we would recommend 2.5 days for this drive but I understand how anxious you may be to get there.

panny27 Guest

i've done that road... i was just trying to shave some miles...i am a veteran of long over night road trips, so i would definitely not push it if i couldn't. I have accesive adhd and can run on adrenailne alone for numerous hours. I drove from Nashua NH to Amarillo Texas nonstop before, by myself. 32 hours and alot of slaps to the face. i was much younger than. I have a 1 and 4 year old and the hotel stops always seem to energize the little ones to the point where we didn't really get that much sleep anyway. I will go as I can. take naps as I can and stop in a hotel if I really Need to.

Needing adrenaline and slaps to the face just prove that your body can no longer function at a level where you can safely operate a 2 ton machine at 70 mph. You can not do it safely, no one can, the human body just doesn't allow it.

Drowsy driving is every bit as dangerous and deadly as Drunk Driving. There is no reason to put your life, your childrens lives, and the lives of everyone else on the road in danger, just so you can't get their a little faster without a hotel stop.

There certainly is nothing that we can do to stop you from doing this trip like you've planned, but I'm sorry, I just don't think you're going to find much help here if your plan is to put countless people in harms way.

panny27 Guest

ok i didn't say i was going to do that again. i was 24 at the time and was just signed by a hockey team in amarillo. I wanted to make it there so i could sleep overnight and go to a pregame skate and play a game that day as well. will not be putting anyone in harms way and will definitely be trying the 3 person rotation. if we can't do it, we won't. sorry to strike a nerve here, with my past, but it is in the past and i do understand how to drive safely and get some sleep in the car while not driving. with the kids all bets sure off that we make in one shot but i would really, really just like some help determining if I will hit alot of traffic between the tapansee and allentown

Yes, you WILL encounter a LOT of traffic, which is why I suggested the alternate to avoid the ENTIRE corridor.

panny27 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    Yes, you WILL encounter a LOT of traffic, which is why I suggested the alternate to avoid the ENTIRE corridor.
    thanks GLC, wasn't sure of the traffic along that roadway. i will seriously consider the 81 route

Default Adjust to the needs of little ones.

Quote Originally Posted by panny27 View Post
    I have a 1 and 4 year old and the hotel stops always seem to energize the little ones to the point where we didn't really get that much sleep anyway.
    The needs of little ones are quite different from yours. They need time to settle. It is for that reason that we always stopped before 5pm, and gave them time to adjust and familiarise themselves with their new surroundings. Invariably, after a bath and good meal, they would be asleep before 8pm, allowing for a good night's sleep for all.

Lifey

panny27 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    is the dc beltway to richmond clear after say 9:30 or 10 (pm) if i was to go to scranton and come in to washington dc via 81. that seems to be 30 miles shorter and more options for towns hotels on 95 if I'm correct. I like Rocky Mount NC as a stopping spot. I've stayed there the past 3 trips, but i usually left at 5 AM from hartford. 660 miles on those backcountry roads should be 12 hours with a couple stops. let me know what you guys think of that idea

panny27 Guest

unless i take 3 days there is going to be something that has to give here. my sleep there sleep. we can't leave before 2 pm from our house in CT. 3 hours then stopping wouldn't get us anywhere. i am driving 10-12 hours unless we have a complete melt down. weve got the dvd player in the traverse for occasions like this. someone on another forum has suggested 87 south to 78 to 15. they have never had a problem in the late afternoon in coming over the tappansee