1. Default San Francisco to New York in four weeks or less

I'm planning for my first roadtrip in the US and would greatly appreciate your advice and comments on my preliminary travel plan. :)

I would like to hear what more experienced travellers think of my itinerary; is it realistic, what stops would you consider leaving out (I have a feeling that my schedule is a bit too tight and needs some editing) and what kind of destinations would you add? And if you could suggest some smaller but interesting places to visit along my route, I would be very grateful.

Here's a list of the places I'm currently thinking about:
    San Francisco, Los Angeles, Grand Canyon, (Big Bend National Park, maybe), Austin, New Orleans, (Memphis), Nashville, Charleston, Washington, (Philadelphia) and New york.

I've got four weeks of which the last 3-5 days I would like to spend in New York.

Thank you!

South of England.

Default Time enough.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

I don't think time will be a limiting factor for your current plan, with 4 weeks it would be quite leisurely. The question is what kind of destinations would you add, what are your interests ? You have an idea of where you want to go so it's a case of continuing to reserch your options in between those points to find places that appeal to you, the options will be in there thousands.

I would have a dig around the RTA site where you will find endless amounts of info. Yu can use the search function to explore the forums or simply scroll down this page where you will find 'Similar threads' and then repeat as many times as yo want. In the tool bars above you will find routes, travel tips and the RTA mapping prgrams where you can create routes and find attractions.

As you move forward with your planning keep asking questions as and when you need and I'm sure other members will be able to fill in the blanks and make suggestions.

Enjoy the planning !