1. Default summer 2013 - 21 day trip - starting from LA/ LV/Page/Bryce/Yosemite/SF/ coast/ LA

Hi everyone,
    I'm french but partly raised in CA, I'm taking my family (hubby+ 3 teenage boys) for a back to my roots trip.

Here is the plan

day 1/2/3 LA
    day 4/5 Las vegas
    day 6 grand canyon
    day 7/8/9 page
    day 10 bryce
    day 11 on the road to yosemite
    day 12 yosemite
    day 13 on the road to SF
    day 14/15 SF
    day 16/17/18 down the coast to san diego
    day 19/20 san diego
    day 21 LA for early next day departure

I have 2 questions :

1) is this trip feasible without "running" all the time?
    2) in the middle of july what is the best way to go from bryce canyon to yosemite ? north route (via tioga pass) or south route via death valley?

Thank you so very much for your precious help !!!!
    And feel free to give me any other advice you might feel helpful.

South of England.

Default Death valley and Tioga perhaps ?

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums!

Your trip is certainly doable but you might feel a little rushed at the Grand canyon and Yosemite in particular. If you re planning on leaving for Page after lunch on day 7 that will certainly help things at GC.

With your time frame you really only have time to enter Yosemite via Tioga Pass , but that's the way I would choose in any case. With an early start you could possibly make it to Lee Vining the same day which would allow you the morning of the next day to enjoy the Tioga Pass and the Valley in the afternoon. You should have time to go up to Glacier point before making a move for SF the next day, however an extra day from GC to Yosemite would make a huge difference.

Another route option would be to visit SD at the start of your trip to save having to battle through the LA area more than you have to. You could then go from SD to GC and then head to Vegas after Bryce canyon [what about Zion NP?] and catch Death valley and the Tioga Pass by going across on 190 and north on 395. Overall the mileage is very similar to your original option.

3. Default

Thanks a lot Southwest Dave !

Back to refining the trip, we cannot start with SD because we are meeting with some friends to do Vegas. We might just forget about SD if we want to allow an extra day for GC- Yosemite. And not be completely rushed with the pacific coast.

When we leave SF how long do you think we need to "cruise" down to LA and not miss the major "must do"?

Thanks again for your help!

Melbourne, Australia

Default Two or three.

The PCH from SF to LA can be driven comfortably in two days. Adding an extra day would give you time for a hike to a waterfall or beach walk, etc.

South of England.

Default Worth considering.

If you were to skip SD this time, I think it would make for a much more relaxed affair and would perhaps allow you a day in Zion NP after Bryce. Zion is a wonderful NP with wonderful walks through the canyon following the Virgin river. Right by the entrance is the lovely little town of Springdale. From Springdale you could travel via the ET Highway and Tonopah where you could stop over, or continue on to Lee Vining. Take 115 through Mesquite and take NV168 to US93N. Then take NV318/375 [ET Highway] to US6 to CA120. It's quite desolate but that in itself can be appealing to the eye and there are a few stops along the way.

Along the 'ET Highway' you could stop at the 'Little Ale'Inn at Rachael for something to eat/drink [Earthlings welcome] and look at the UFO photos and reports on the walls. Where the 375 meets US6 there are a few derelict buildings at the old Warm Springs Stage post. Not much there but if you wanted to stretch your legs you can walk around the old coral and you will notice a fenced hot tub fed by a hot spring that comes out the mountain a short walk up the hill. Tonopah is an interesting old mining town and near to Lee Vining is Mono Lake.

6. Default

Thank again you guys! I think SD is definitely out for this trip...!