1. Default Best winter route from Salt lake city to Denver

We have to go to Denver for a funeral. My sis has always taken the route to Denver via I-70 thru Grand Junction. I have always driven I-80 thru Cheyenne. In the winter time, I am concerned going over the mountains, won't that take longer to travel, how about the roads. To me the straight shot on I-80 would be best, but I have also been stuck on that road in the winter.

What is the best winter driving road between Salt Lake City to Denver.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default not either or

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

When it comes to winter travel, there is rarely, if ever, a single "best route." That's certainly the case here. The only thing that really matters is which route will have better weather at the time of your trip, and that is a day by day decision.

I-80 has the advantage that it is completely on Interstate Highways, which generally are plowed best and first, although I suspect US-6 gets pretty good plow coverage. I-80 does not get as high in elevation, but it does remain at a high elevation (about 7k feet) for nearly the entire drive, and combined with the relative flat, that can make for blowing snow, poor visability, and icy conditions during a storm. I-70 on the other hand involves a much higher mountain crossing which increases the chance of seeing a snowstorm.

The only answer is to check the forecast and see which looks best on your day of travel, and stay flexible, because there may be plenty of times were the best answer is to wait until tomorrow.

South of England.

Default No single best.

Hello and welcome to RTA !

The "best" winter route to get from A to B is often the shortest, but the weather can play a part in which will turn out to be the quickest. In short there is no single best winter driving road. In your case and all things being equal, I80 would be slightly quicker, but I would check the weather and road conditions before setting off and then make your final decision.

Ft. Collins, CO.

If you are going to be arriving east of the Eisenhower tunnel on a Sunday afternoon after 2 PM using the I-70 route, choose I-80 instead.

Ski traffic going home on Sunday afternoon can be very, very, very slow between the ski areas and Denver.

Likewise in summer during camping season.

Joplin MO

I was on I-70 this past Friday afternoon heading east, and it started snowing lightly around Vail. It took me 90 minutes to go the 10 miles from Dillon to the tunnel. Traffic was just awful. Loveland Pass was not an option, it had chain restrictions and they closed it right around that time.