Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Los Angeles to New York - road trip

Hey Guys,

I am traveling with a friend this June for a 21 day trip to america, Ive always wanted to do this road trip but only have been able to do it now.

I think i have the beggining part sussed i think but please correct me if there is a better way. I plan on going from LA and driving to LV then onto South side of the grand canyon from there i want to work my way up to colorado. Once i hit colorado i plan on taking the million dollar highway to Glenwood( i want to try the hot springs their and the rapids), then onto boulder via Trail bridge Road. I am not sure which way to travel across mid america up to New York.

I originally thought i would go north to mount rushmor, east to chicargo and then new york but i am not too sure now. Would it be best to go across america via St Lious , as this way will allow me to go to washington(wanted to see the white house). Please help.

I would also like to know of any good attractions/activities along my route?

Default Why Not Both?

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

If you have 21 days for a one-way crossing of America from Los Angeles to New York, then you'll have plenty of time to include the Grand Canyon, Colorado, southwestern South Dakota, middle America, and Washington before getting to New York. You could even do that in two weeks and leave yourselves a full week to take a more direct, but still relaxed, drive back to Los Angeles. Specific recommendations for things to see and do will, of course, have to wait until you've finalized a route, especially the eastern two-thirds of it.

However, your western portion, at least up to Boulder, seems pretty well set, so let me offer a few suggestions for things that might fit your apparent desire for scenery. Between the Grand Canyon and Durango, at the southern end of the Million Dollar Highway, there's Monument Valley Navajo Tribal Park and Mesa Verde National Park. Then, if and only if your car has high ground clearance, you can take CO-110 out of Silverton and then the rock/dirt road back up into the ghost town of Animas Forks. Since you'll be entering Rocky Mountain National Park from the west, you'll have the opportunity to take a fairly short hike back up to the headwaters of the Colorado River (which carved the Grand Canyon) where you can step across it. And then on the eastern side of the park, in the town of Estes Park, visit the Stanley Hotel whether or not you're a fan of Stephen King's The Shining.

As noted, you'll have to decide what you're going to do on the eastern portion of your trip, but if it were me I'd visit the area around Mount Rushmore including Wind and Jewel CAves, the Badlands, Devils Tower and the Crazy Horse Memorial, and then I'd head for St. Louis to pick up I-64/I-79/I-68/I-70 to Washington. That has the advantage of not only getting you to the White House, but missing all the cities and toll roads of northern Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio.

AZBuck

Default It might pay to have a plan 'B'.

The Trail Ridge Road is by no means a certainty in June. In fact, it is not a certainty at any time. June is quite early for the snow to be cleared at those altitudes. Consider having an alternative plan, as it can be closed by blizzards and snow at a moment's notice - any time of the year.

Lifey

4. Default

Az Buck thanks for your input with co-110 that is a definate if my car is good enough. The car i am looking to book is a grand cherokee however as is usual most retal places have the 'or similar' clause. Being from london where small cars are the norm(i have a BMW) i dont have much experience with larger cars and dont know if the car will have the clearance. Any experience with this car?

Monument Valley Navajo Tribal Park - from 'grand canyon' i was going to travel along the 264 and then north on the 191 just past 'steam park canyon'. This route takes me through Navjo Indian Reservation( please let me know if this is worth it as i can can skip this totally and get on the 160 @Tuba city and cut out a large journey) however i can still get to monument valley if i take 59 to join onto the 160. The first point i think i can get into the park is Dennehotso. If i get on here where do you suggest i go as there seems to be lots of reservation roads here and want to make it to durango from grand canyon in one day.

The eastern part of the trip has me baffled. I have not much knowledge about this part of america and dont know where the best places are to go around my general route? Ill keep thinking about it over the weekend i guess. Are there any cities or towns which are a must go? i dont mind driving an extra couple of 100 miles out of my way?

Lifey - thanks for the advice. Is there any websites i can check to keep me updated when im there, as i can quite easily change my route to boulder from glenwood springs.

Default No can do.

Az Buck thanks for your input with co-110 that is a definate if my car is good enough. The car i am looking to book is a grand cherokee however as is usual most retal places have the 'or similar' clause. Being from london where small cars are the norm(i have a BMW) i dont have much experience with larger cars and dont know if the car will have the clearance. Any experience with this car?
    You will not be permitted to go off the paved highways in a rental, it would be in violation of your rental contract.

Monument Valley Navajo Tribal Park - from 'grand canyon' i was going to travel along the 264 and then north on the 191 just past 'steam park canyon'. This route takes me through Navjo Indian Reservation( please let me know if this is worth it as i can can skip this totally and get on the 160 @Tuba city and cut out a large journey)
    Personally I would take 89/160/163 to Monument Valley. The entry to MV is from 163 and to come up on 191 would mean looping all the way around 160 to 163 and back to 191 adding a lot of time considering the slower roads. That would seriously take away quality time at MV and still get to Durango. From MV head towards Bluff [191] where you will find the Twin Rocks Trading post if you want to eat or browse the store, and then take 162 through Montezuma Creek. When you hit 160 and if you were making good time, you could turn right and stop at Four Corners NM before back tracking to Durango. There is not much at Four corners other than the unique opportunity of having your picture taken with each limb in a different State, AZ,UT,CO,NM.

Default Yes, but...

No doubt there is a website where you can check if the Trail Ridge Road is open. But it is not as simple as that. In 2009 I was at the visitor centre around four o'clock one afternoon in September, just to check if it would be open the next day. I so badly wanted to drive it, having missed out on the three previous times I was there. I was assured that there was less than 1% chance the road would be closed.

By 6pm that same evening, the road was closed by a blizzard. It was another week before I got to finally drive it on my fifth attempt.

Good Luck!

Lifey

Default Filling in Some Details

If by "the 264" you mean AZ-264 across northern Arizona, that's not your best way from the Grand Canyon to Monument Valley. AZ-264 actually crosses the Navajo and Hopi Indian Reservations and while scenic, doesn't really get you anywhere. From the Grand Canyon your best route to Monument Valley is to take AZ-64 (the Rim Drive) east to US-89 north near Cameron, then turn east on US-160 to Kayenta. There take US-163 north to Utah. The entrance to the Navajo Tribal Park will be on your right shortly after you cross the state line. Many of the roads to the best sights are unpaved and rough, so you are well advised to hire a native guide with a high-clearance 4WD vehicle for a tour of this park. Even with a tour, you should have no problem in getting from the Grand Canyon to Durango in a day. I would actually suggest a rather late departure from the Canyon so that you arrive in Monument Valley in the late afternoon/early evening so that the sun is low in the sky to get the full effect of the magnificent rock formations there. It's only about 2½ hours from Monument Valley to Durango so that you can still get a good night's sleep before the next day.

Dave is right about the road back into Animas Forks. While I drove it (very carefully!) in my own car, I don't think the track back in qualifies under most rental car firms' definition of a 'regularly maintained road' or however they word their restrictions. As for the eastern portion of your trip, do check out the route I suggested in my previous post that would take you through St. Louis and then Kentucky and West Virginia to Washington. As I noted, it's much more relaxing than going through Chicago and along Lake Erie with plenty to see and do.

AZBuck

8. Default

Hey guys,

thanks for the comments and help so far. sorry i will be quite annoying as i need to get the route finalised before next weekend before i start booking hotels/ car/ flights.

Ok i have decided to add on san fran to my route, instead of flying to los angeles i will fly to san fran and driving to la from there. Looking online alot of people recommend driving down route 1 to los angeles which i do like the sound of i will have to spend a night somewhere along the route. Is there any reccomendations? i would like to stay somewhere with a beach and a fairly good hotel.

i also include my general route below which will give you an idea of what im doing. If there are any changes i should make please let me know ie where to stay etc.

Day 1 San fransico(flight lands
    Day 2 san fransico
    Day 3 san fran to
    Day 4 to los angeles
    Day 5 los angeles
    Day 6 los angeles to vegas
    Day 7 vegas
    Day 8 Vegas to Grand canyon
    Day 9 grand canyon to durango
    Day 10 durango to glenwood springs
    Day 11 glenwood springs to boudler
    Day 12 boulder
    Day 13 boulder
    Day 14 boulder to
    Day 15
    Day 16 washington
    Day 17 washington to seaside heights
    Day 18 seaside heights to new york
    Day 19 new york
    Day 20 new york
    Day 21 new york

As you can see i am still not exactly sure how to get to New york from boulder. I have two full days and 1 night to make it there. if anyone could suggest a route and where to stay.

Default Sorry, No

Quote Originally Posted by fabian1986
    As you can see i am still not exactly sure how to get to New York from boulder. I have two full days and 1 night to make it there. if anyone could suggest a route and where to stay.
    There is simply no way that you can drive from Boulder to New York, or Washington, in two days. It is just plain physically impossible. Boulder to Washington is 1700 miles. Boulder to New York is 1800 miles. You must add at least another day and a half for either drive.

AZBuck

10. Default

Hi AZBuck

what would you suggest?? which route and where to stop?
    I do not want to stop much on the route and only need to for food etc.

Kind regards