1. Default Advice Maine (& Canada) road trip

We wanted you guys to review the roadtrip that we are planning to do the last week of August, first week of September. We would like to know if you think this is doable? We also wanted to let you know there is the two of us (41 years old), we like to do roadtrips and do not mind keeping it at a steady pace. We like to see as much as possible and we are not beach vacationers. We also like to start early in the day and do not mind to keep going till late at night.

We will fly in from Chicago to Boston, pick up a rental car and drive following itinerary:

08/24/13: Chicago - Boston, MA

Boston - Cape Elisabeth, ME (114 mi/2:01)

08/25/13: Cape Elisabeth, ME - Boothbay Harbor, ME (65,4 mi/1:29)

Boothbay Harbor, ME - Owls Head, ME (47,2 mi/1:09)

Owls Head, ME - Bar Harbor, ME (88,7 mi/2:12)

08/26/13: Bar Harbor, ME

08/27/13: Bar Harbor, ME - Bangor, ME (48,8 mi/1:18)

Bangor, ME - Greenville, ME (71,4 mi/1:35)

Greenville, ME - Rockwood, ME (19,3 mi/0:25)

Rockwood, ME - Quebec, ON (140 mi - 2:54)

08/28/13: Quebec, ON

08/29/13: Quebec, ON - Montreal, ON (158 mi/2:40)

08/30/13: Montreal, ON

08/31/13: Montreal, ON Ottowa, ON (124 mi/2:05)

09/01/13: Ottowa, ON - Toronto, ON (279 mi/4:28)

09/02/13: Toronto, ON

09/03/13: Toronto, ON - Niagara, ON (79,7 mi/1:23)

09/04/13: Buffalo, NY - Chicago

We really would appreciate your feedback on this trip. Are we seeing the Maine highlights with this trip?

Thanks a lot.

Tucson, AZ

Default Places Worth Checking Out

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

All told, you've probably got around 4½ to 5 days worth of driving ahead of you. That's not bad at all for an eleven day RoadTrip. Where specifically you should stop on your journey will depend a bit on your own interests, but some of the places I would recommend that you look into would be the Nubble (Cape Neddick Light) in York, the waterfront and eastern promenade in Portland, and Fort Pemaquid, all in Maine. You might enjoy a carriage ride around the old walled city of Québec, but certainly walk the ramparts. A few basic French phrases would come in very handy. Montréal is another city where the highlight is the Old Port and the Old City, which are actually pretty much contiguous and can all be done on foot. Ottawa's highlight is, of course, the Houses of Parliament. And plan to take some time exploring the Thousand Islands region at the head of the St. Lawrence River

3. Default

It seems like we might have been somewhat overambitious in our planning ;-). Think we will skip the Canadian part of this planning and focus on the Maine part of the trip here.
    Since we are coming from Chicago, do you think the best way to do this trip is a round-trip starting and ending in Boston (do not really need to visit Boston, been there 2 times before - so we can focus on Maine).
    And can you recommend the main focus points for this Maine roundtrip, taking into account our total time there (Sat 8/24 - Wed 09/04)? We could potentially also switch the period from Sat 08/31 until Wed 09/11. What would be the better period?

Any other tips or suggestions are also welcome.

Tucson, AZ

Default Maine Plus

I appreciate that spending close to half your travel time driving might seem daunting, and that you would like to concentrate more on enjoying the places you've spent so much time getting to rather than just giving them a quick peek and then moving on. However, I also think that just limiting yourself to Maine might be a bit short sighted. New England is an amazingly compact place and you could easily do a tour of the northern portion of it - Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont - with a grand total of about two days of driving. Spread out over 11 days, that's not bad. At this point let me refer you to a collection of previous posts about some of the best sights in New England and let you decide on a basic itinerary. Then we can start filling in with other places that fit your interests.

5. Default

That seems to be a very good Idea, AZBuck! Will look into Maine, Vermont and New Hampshire and post our itinerary here for you guys to review later on.

6. Default

Depending on your interest in hiking and fitness level, either Mt. Katahdin in Baxter State Park or Mount Washington in the White Mountains are excellent hikes with tremendous views above the treeline. Both are state highpoints, if you're into that. Note that access to Baxter is tricky as far as permits/camping is concerned, so if you want to do that I'd start looking into it earlier rather than later.

7. Default

Thank you all for your feedback. This made us rethink our itinerary and we decided to leave Canada for a next trip. Instead, we are going to combine Maine, Vermont and New Hampshire for this trip. The reason why we decided to fly into Boston is the price of the flights (we are flying in from Peoria to Chicago to Boston). Flying from Peoria to Portland would be double the price.

This is the itinerary we came up with. We would appreciate your feedback on this, either the itinerary itself, or the places to stay overnight.

08/24/13: Peoria, IL - Boston, MA

Boston, MA - Portland, ME (or Cape Elizabeth, ME) (110 mi/1:58) (Via Portsmouth, NH)

08/25/13: Portland, ME - Bar Harbor, ME (192 mi/4:31) (Shopping in Freeport, via US 1 through Bath. Spend part of day around Boothbay Harbor, Camdon or Blue Hill)

08/26/13: Bar Harbor, ME (Acadia National Park)

08/27/13: Bar Harbor, ME

08/28/13: Bar Harbor, ME - Bethel, ME (246 mi/4:54) (Via Portland, ME (Casco Bay Lines Cruise - Mailboat) to Bethel (via Sabbathday Lake & Poland Spring))

08/29/13: Bethel, ME - Lincoln, NH (88,5 mi/2:09) (Via Gorham NH, Pinkham Notch, Glen, Conway, Kancamagus Highway (White Mountains))

08/30/13: Lincoln, NH - Burlington, VT (123 mi/2:18) (Via Franconia Notch (Flume Gorge), Littleton, Rock of Ages granite quarry, Hope Cemetary, Barre, Montpelier)

08/31/13: Burlington, VT - Woodstock, VT (105 mi/2:41) (Via Middlebury (Gap), Hancock, Plymouth)

09/01/13: Woodstock, VT - Manchester, VT (57,7 mi/1:28) (Explore villages southern Vermont: Manchester, Dorset, Grafton, Newfane, Weston)

09/02/13: Manchester, VT - Bennington, VT (50,7 mi/1:18) (Via Arlington to Bennington. Go across MA state line and visit Williamstown. Back to Bennington (VT))

09/03/13: Bennington, VT - Boston, MA (154 mi/3:44) (Via Route 9 (Molly Stark Trail), Marlboro, Brattleboro, Keene (NH), Mount Monadnock to Boston (spend afternoon/night in Boston))

09/04/13: Boston, MA - Peoria, IL

Thank you guys for your patience and all input!
    Last edited by kojtl1000s; 01-31-2013 at 06:56 PM.