1. Default 3 weeks roadtrip through deep south and mid-west.

Hello. I am new to this forum, and is hoping to get some ideas about general advice, attractions, distances and routes.

We are group of five, two adults and three teenagers, from Norway. We have flights to NYC-JFK and home from Newark. Total vacation time is 3 and a half week. We think about two or three days in NYC. After that the train to Philadelphia or Pittsburgh, where I think about renting a car and driving down to New Orleans. We would like the trip to include scenery, civil war history and musical history, and a beach. On this strech I am planning on using about 10 days, and the tenth day marking end of stay in New Orleans.

After that, I am thinking about flying to Denver, where again I would rent a car and then head eastwards. Thinking about Omaha and Chicago. Would like to see scenery, midwestern and frontier history, native history. Planning to use about 10 days ending up in Newark.

Some of my questions are:
    Where should we head for the beach, east coast or southern coast?
    South Dakota or Nebraska, or both?
    Would Rocky Mountains national park be a big detour, and advisable if we would also go to the Black Hills?
    Is it a good idea to rent a car outside NYC? And is a domestic flight a good idea?
    Is the main outline reasonable for this amount of time?

Thomas B

Green County, Wisconsin

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I will ask, have you priced out the cost of doing a trip like this? The outline you've presented looks reasonable from a time perspective, but it would be likely be extremely expensive because of multiple one-way car rentals and one-way plane tickets.

For the first part of your trip, you might be better off renting a car in or outside of NYC. You won't need or want a car for your actual exploration of NY, but it could be cheaper and easier than getting on a train just to start your trip from Philly. Price it out to see which works better.

From Philly, you could head to Gettysburg battlefield, and then make your way south down the Blue Ridge Parkway, once you get to Smokey Mountains, you could continue south to the beaches of the Gulf Coast, or you could head across Tennessee to the music-rich cities of Nashville and Memphis, before heading south to NOLA.

If you fly to Denver, Rocky Mountain NP is not far from Denver and could easily be in your plans, and you can drive to the Black Hills in about a day. If you want to see the great plains, you certainly could drive across to Omaha or Chicago, but another option would be to use the time to explore more of the mountain west, doing a full loop where you would return to Denver. With 10 days again, you could head west from the Black Hills to Little Bighorn Battlefield, and even onto Yellowstone and the Tetons (one of my favorite places on the planet) before heading back to Denver, to catch a flight back to Newark.

3. Default

Thanks for answering and putting tings into perspective!

Lokka like it is wise to rent a car outside NYC. Big differences. Also more economically sound to rent for a round-trip.

I have to check some distances up from NOLA into the Midwest.

Thomas B

Joplin MO

To help you put things in perspective - if you are in a hurry and just need to get from point A to point B on limited-access Interstate highways, you should not try to drive more than 600 miles a day.