Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default 9 day road trip from LA to NYC with a dog!

Hey guys,

My husband, I and our dog did a road trip from NYC to SF -- it was superb! We are now starting to plan our road trip back from LA to NYC. We had about 2.5 weeks on our way here but while heading back we'll only have about 9 days. What is the best route to take -- we don't want to drive more than 4 hours a day cause with sightseeing/stops, it gets a bit much for us esp with a puppy.
    Thoughts?

Wow, 4 hours a day is going to be a much slower pace than your last trip. The pace you're looking at now will require you to take a pretty direct route back.

You should know by now we don't believe in a single best route, only the best choice for you - and that depends upon what you want to see and do. Since I believe you ended up cutting the Grand Canyon out of your previous plans, I might start there, and then continue back by heading across Utah and Colorado - finishing the trip either by going across I-70, or cutting up to I-80 across Nebraska and back to New York. That would give you a very different trip back than the one you took heading west.

3. Default

Do you mean?

LA>Flagstaff>Gallup>Amarillo>Clinton>Little Rock>Nashville>Ashville>Roanoke>NYC
    or

Route 66 to Chicago and then NYC?

We have a total of 10 days with not even one extra day this time around :-s
    Got a map?

Default not what I said

If you want to take either of those routes, that's fine - just remember Route 66 hasn't actually been around for about 30 years now, having been replaced by the Interstate System.

However, neither of them are anywhere close to what I recommended. I suggested going across Utah and Colorado, and neither of your options come close to either state. I suggested then using I-70 or I-80 across the plains, and what you listed stays hundred of miles south of either option.

I didn't recommend one specific route, especially across Utah and Colorado, because I would think you would want to stop and see some things along the way, and the best route will depend upon those things. However, if you take a look at a map, it should not be hard at all to get an idea of what I was recommending.

5. Default

Yes, I guess I missed that. That would indeed be nice. But I was just wondering if the weather ie. mid-feb is the most conducive to take from further north. I mean, even the routes I mentioned above are pretty cold. Let me know your thought. But I am totally open if you think weather wont be a problem and if in fact we can do the Colorado & Utah route to NYC in 9 days. If do could you please send me a sample route and I'll work around it?

Sure, they are likely to be cold, and you could see snow (a fact that is certainly still possible on any I-40 based route, or even if you retraced your I-10 route). With 9/10 days available, worst case, you might have to sit out a day on the road and increase your travel times a bit for your other days. However, considering you had to be driving far more than 4 hours for many of your days heading west, I can't imagine that being a huge problem.

Remember, weather is impossible to predict more than a couple days out. If you were traveling right now, the absolute worst place to be would be the deep south (Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia).

One potential sample, would be to go up to the Grand Canyon, through Monument Valley to Moab (Arches/Canyonlands), and then take I-70 through Colorado, Kansas, etc all the way to the east coast.

7. Default

Gotcha, that sounds super actually. So something like this? http://roadtrippers.com/trips/50f7470954b9725a17000105
    Some stretches are longer, do you think we need 12 days, right now it's 10.
    Last edited by dogtripper; 01-16-2013 at 05:59 PM.

You can go almost any way you want. At 9 days that means you have to travel about 350 miles a day.

That easy pace can let you drive slow enough to see some scenery and find a US route to explore on the way east. You mentioned US 66. There are some segments you can drive but you will have to do some research. However there still are several Coast to Coast US routes that you can follow US 6, US 20, US 30, US 40, US 50, US 60, US 70, US 80, and the Lincoln Hwy, has it's own website.

You may find this link helpfull.
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 01-17-2013 at 02:44 AM. Reason: Link format.

How much time you need completely depends upon how set you are on driving 4 hours a day.

If that is a hard limit, and you really don't want to do anything more than that, you'll probably need more time. If you're willing to push that up to 6,7, or 8 hours on some days, which it appears you did several times on your drive west, then 9-10 days should be pretty easy.

Also keep in mind that you don't have to always spend the night in major cities. For example, Denver to KC can be done in a day, but that's about 10 hour on the road. You could instead stop for the night in Salina, Kansas, which is roughly halfway between Denver and St. Louis. That will get your drives down closer to what you want (about 6 hours each day) and you could still make a stop in KC as you drive through.

And of course, the route I offered was just a suggestion - there are lots of other routes and parks you could visit instead - going up through Bryce and Zion instead of Monument Valley, or cutting across southern Colorado after Monument Valley instead of going up to Moab, or going through Nebraska and Chicago instead of Kansas and St. Louis. Make this the trip you want.

Default Grab 'em if you can !

Some stretches are longer, do you think we need 12 days, right now it's 10.
    It's more a case of if you want them. Given the option of an extra couple of days on the road to explore and relax, well I would take it every time ! Of course it comes down partly to circumstances such as finances and time management, but hey !