1. Default Reno, NV to Orlando, FL

I'm new to this forum and would like to get some advice for safe roads and how long will take me to get from Reno, NV to Orlando, FL. I was thinking probably 2 1/2 days? Planning my trip middle of June with three kids. thank you!!

South of England.

Default Not the road you need to worry about.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

The time you are planning is much more of a safety issue than which road to take. To do this drive safely you would need at least 4 overnight stops and that would mean travelling for 4 days of 10 -12 hours per day plus another 6 hours or so on day 5, or of course 5 9-10 hour days. Remember you need time to find lodgings, check in and out and have breakfast and evening meals etc which can turn a 12 hour day into 14 plus hours. I80 and I40 are roughly the same time and distance and both perfectly safe providing your car is in good condition and well maintained.

If you can't allow 5 days for the drive I really would consider flying as there is no way you can drive safely for over 48 hours in a 60 hour period.

Melbourne, Australia

Default Consider the Children.

Dave is quite right, there is no way you could do this trip in less time, and even then, it would be tough. Tough on the children restrained in their belts for most of their waking hours, for five days in a row. And there is nothing more distracting than cranky kids, which in itself is a safety issue. A distracted driver is not a safe driver. Plan this trip with regular - two / three hourly - stops to give the children a break. Or fly!

4. Default

Thanks for the advise Dave!

5. Default

Hello Lifey... Yes you're totally right about the kids.. Thanks for the advise!