Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default NYC trip gotten out of hand!

Hi all, I've come across this place whilst searching the net for road trip information starting from New york end heading north into New England. It looks like a friendly place after reading numerous threads!

Me and my girlfriend are from the Uk and are hoping to plan a trip to NYC in September 2013, but then thought whats the point on spending a fortune on flights to only stay 4 days in NY, why don't we add on a road trip after to make it worthwhile!....So here I am asking for your expertise in this area :)

Neither of us have ever been to the US and are very much looking forward to it! We would like to get to spend a few days in NYC doing the usual tourist stuff. Then go for a road trip for 7-10 days. We want to go into new England to see the history and first settlements, quaint villages, mountains/forests, whale watching and possibly some water sports. Alongside great food, oh and playing with some big guns!

My very rough idea is to head up to Niagra falls on the first day but I'm not sure if this is too far out? Then head back into vermont, new hampshire, Maine and down to Massachusetts to fly home from Boston.

Has anyone got experience of a trip like this, do we have enough time to do it? I'm still researching and trying to get an idea of distances and the best places to visit! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Default Should Work Quite Well

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Actually, your basic plan should give you the best of two worlds. Land in New York and see that city for three or four days using public transportation such as the subway, busses and cabs. That would save you the expense of a rental car which would be difficult to drive, expensive to park, and more of a nuisance than a help in the city. Then arrange for a rental for a week's RoadTrip up to Niagara, then over to Boston and through New England for a week. It will help that car rentals are cheaper if you book for a week, and cheaper again if you rent from a location other than a major airport. And the northeastern United States is surprisingly compact, especially New England. So that a week will give you enough time to see many, but sadly not all, of its sights.

AZBuck
    Last edited by AZBuck; 01-09-2013 at 09:14 AM.

Thank you!
    I'm glad that my plan should be achievable! I hope to be able to see enough of this area but yes I won't be able to see it all :( I will definitely be using public transport around NY, hopefully I can get a decent deal on a hire car when leaving.

I'm going to research the 'must see's' and begin planning a route!
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 01-09-2013 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Removed quote of entire previous post

You will get a better deal on a car rental if you "complete the loop" and return to NYC. This will save you a one-way dropoff fee and probably get you a better deal on airfare too. It's only a half day's drive from Boston to NYC.

Looking at Hertz they do not seem to stipulate an added cost for taking to another location. I thought it would be better to miss that out which gives us another day somewhere else instead of travelling.

Here's my first idea for the trip.

New york - Niagara - Liverpool - Lake placid - Montpelier - White mountains - Bangor - Portland - Cape Cod - Boston.

I'm getting the feeling that it may be too much to do and that I should skip Niagara to see more of New England?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_B View Post
    Looking at Hertz they do not seem to stipulate an added cost for taking to another location. I thought it would be better to miss that out which gives us another day somewhere else instead of travelling.
    Hertz does not charge an additional, itemized, fee for one way rentals, however, that's only because they roll the addition costs into the daily rental rate. If you price out returning in Boston vs returning in NYC, you'll see how much more you have to pay.

It may still be worth it to you to do the one way rental, but still comparison shop, and don't assume that Hertz will be the cheapest overall option, just because they don't list a one way fee.

It's showing at exactly the same price for me wether I leave it at Boston or NYC, strange!

£284/$498 for 10 days, its the cheapest I've been able to find browsing the net, does it seem fair for a 2/4 door compact?

I would really like a Mustang convertable, just the V6 one but they do no show them in NYC but I could if we started in Boston and ended back there but I need to hit NYC at beginning or end :(

Default Mustang still possible.

You could take the train to Boston, and then pick up the car. Do the trip in a loop from there.

Lifey

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_B View Post
    New york - Niagara - Liverpool - Lake placid - Montpelier - White mountains - Bangor - Portland - Cape Cod - Boston.

I'm getting the feeling that it may be too much to do and that I should skip Niagara to see more of New England?
    Why are you going to Liverpool? No one goes to Liverpool.

Monday morn leave NYC drive all day have diner in Niagara Falls see the falls at night, beautiful. Good nights sleep.

Tueesday see falls in day time and other local attractions as Fort Niagara.

Wednesday drive to Lake Placid.

Thursday see LP and other Adirondack sights.

Friday drive to Ausable Chasm, see it, drive to Fort Ticonderoga, see it, drive to Montipelierelier.

Saturday you have to make a decision based on time left as to go to Maine or straight to Boston.

Now if you rather see more New England then you can go straight up to Lake Placid in one day. So Monday night you are in LP.

Tuesday you can see LP and other Adirondack sites.

Wednesday then do the Ausable Chasm and other sites on your way to Vermont.

Which then leaves you Thursday to work your way from Montpelier to Bangor.

Friday work your way to Boston by the way of Portland.

If you can get to the North End of Boston by mid day you can see many revolutionary sites and many Italian restaurants to chose from.

Default You'll never walk alone !

Why are you going to Liverpool? No one goes to Liverpool.
    I'll take a wild guess and connect it to a certain football club not to far from Phil's UK home ?