1. Default Driving from Boston to Fort Lauderdale late February

oops - already goofed: plan to leave late January or early February.......... :-)

Hi all, I hope you can help. I am looking for general information about driving I-95 to FL. What's the best way to plan for tolls, for example? Will a transponder work in multiple states? I can use any and all suggestions, so please share any tips you can. I'm thinking of stopping in Baltimore and then Brunswick or Savannah Georgia.
    Thanks for any help you can offer!
    Last edited by pearlmjo; 01-08-2013 at 05:29 PM. Reason: error

Default Some I-95 Basics

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

First the good news. EZ-Pass works on the Mass Pike, the New York State Thruway and Bridge Authority facilities, the New Jersey Turnpike, the Delaware Memorial Bridge, the Delaware Turnpike, the Maryland Turnpike, and the Baltimore harbor tunnels. Only the Florida Turnpike does not honor the Pass. Cash is always accepted for all toll roads and bridges. The less than good news is that I-95 is not known for either its scenic beauty or the serenity of the experience of driving it. It is a major transportation thoroughfare, particularly in the Boston to Washington (BosWash) corridor. Depending on which day of the week you start your trip, I might seriously consider extending your first day's effort about another hour of so beyond Baltimore and get just past Washington before bedding down for the night. That way you won't be trying to get through or around DC at the height of rush hour the next morning, There re a few state parks and other refreshing places to take a break along I-95, but it seems as though you're more interested in just laying down miles. If you decide you want to make some stops just ask - and let us know what would appeal to you.

AZBuck

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum! I'm assuming the transponder you have is an EZ Pass (formerly known as FastLane in Massachusetts.) Here is a map of where the transponder will work. As far as tolls on I-95, check here. You should be in good shape and not have to worry about too many tolls. Traffic may be another issue, since I-95 is so heavily traveled.

4. Default ezpass

Quote Originally Posted by Mass Tim View Post
    Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum! I'm assuming the transponder you have is an EZ Pass (formerly known as FastLane in Massachusetts.) Here is a map of where the transponder will work. As far as tolls on I-95, check here. You should be in good shape and not have to worry about too many tolls. Traffic may be another issue, since I-95 is so heavily traveled.
    Thanks so much for your reply. That info about the transponder range is very reassuring! About traffic: I figure that if I leave on a Sunday, the traffic through New York, etc shouldn't be too bad.

Default No Cash in Southern FL.

As mentioned, the E-ZPass is not accepted in FL. As you get towards Ft Lauderdale, neither will cash. Their toll roads are transponder only. They do have a photo system whereby you will be sent an account, but it has an extra (not insignificant) processing charge.

Lifey

You don't have to take any toll roads in FL coming down I-95. It's free all the way to Miami, the Turnpike is an alternate. If you do take the Turnpike, it accepts cash tolls all the way to the Miami-Dade county line (Exit 47). If you use the cashless portion, license plate tolling sends you a bill every 30 days and the admin fee is $2.50.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck View Post
    Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

First the good news. EZ-Pass works on the Mass Pike, the New York State Thruway and Bridge Authority facilities, the New Jersey Turnpike, the Delaware Memorial Bridge, the Delaware Turnpike, the Maryland Turnpike, and the Baltimore harbor tunnels. Only the Florida Turnpike does not honor the Pass. Cash is always accepted for all toll roads and bridges. The less than good news is that I-95 is not known for either its scenic beauty or the serenity of the experience of driving it. It is a major transportation thoroughfare, particularly in the Boston to Washington (BosWash) corridor. Depending on which day of the week you start your trip, I might seriously consider extending your first day's effort about another hour of so beyond Baltimore and get just past Washington before bedding down for the night. That way you won't be trying to get through or around DC at the height of rush hour the next morning, There re a few state parks and other refreshing places to take a break along I-95, but it seems as though you're more interested in just laying down miles. If you decide you want to make some stops just ask - and let us know what would appeal to you.

AZBuck
    Thanks for the encouragement and suggestions. The reason for stopping in Baltimore is to visit family and once I get through that part of the trip, I really don't have to rush. So, if I leave MD around 9 am in order to miss D.C. morning rush hour, would that make sense?

Default A Bit Later and Other Useful Tidbits

My best advice would be to time your arrival at the Washington Beltway, I-495, for no earlier than 10:00 am. Your Baltimore departure time will depend somewhat on where in that city you'll be leaving from, but 9:30 am would be a general ballpark. I-95 is the better of the two roads between Baltimore and DC, with the Baltimore-Washington Parkway being limited to two lanes in each direction and a bit older. I-95 follows I-495 to the east around Washington, and that's the shorter of the two possibilities, but there are a couple of things to be aware of. I-95/I-495 crosses the Potomac on the Woodrow Wilson Bridge. To my knowledge this is the only drawbridge on the entire Interstate system. It rarely opens, but is often a bottleneck anyway. The other problem area will be south of DC where I-95 leaves the I-495 beltway and heads south to Richmond. I-395 from downtown Washington also dumps into this intersection, which is known locally (for good reason) as "The Mixing Bowl". Pay close attention to the signs designating which lanes you should be in. Also, just as a point of reference should you catch any local traffic reports, if you follow I-95 around Washington to the east of the city, you will be on the "Inner Beltway". The "Outer Beltway" is simply the lanes of the same highway going in the opposite direction.

AZBuck

9. Default

Thanks! That's exactly the kind of info that is SO helpful.