1. Default Planning road trip across the county - any tips?

To start, I am a 25 year old male that just recently graduated from college. I have no more school, no job, and I would like to take this opportunity to travel across the county. I plan to travel with a good friend of mine. Our trip will start in Southern California (orange county) and end in North Carolina, and obviously the return trip. I'm planning to travel across AZ, NM, TX, LA, AL, GA, SC, NC. Coming back, I want to take the states directly north of those.

I'm interested in any tips that would help me make this trip safe and cost effecient. I've never done a long road trip like this, so I don't know what my options are for lodging and showering other than renting a hotel room. Obviously that is going to get expensive quickly. I'm not in the best physical condition, so I can't go into campgrounds unless they are very flat surfaced.

As for safety, what should I avoid doing?

My interests revolve around a lot in historic western stuff. So deserts, ghost towns, old buildings, and country towns are my primary interests. j

I plan to take this trip around June 1st. My companion and I are unemployed and so we're prepared to take as long as necessary for this trip (1 month minimum?).
    Thank you.

Green County, Wisconsin

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

It would seem that costs are probably your biggest factor and potential problem. Even on a budget, a month on the road is going to require a fairly decent sized sum of money.

As far as where to sleep and shower, the showering is the easy part. Truck stops frequently have showers available for a price. Public pools, gyms, and health clubs also often will allow you to buy a shower.

Sleeping however, I'm not sure what could be an answer for you. If you can't sleep in a tent, then sleeping in car certainly isn't going to work. After camping and hotels, there aren't a lot of other options left. There are hostels, but with 2 people, they likely aren't going to be much less than a budget motel. Couchsurfing might work for you some of the time, but even there, "free" sleeping has a price, where its courtesy to provide some sort of token of appreciation for your host. Have you considered getting a good air mattress for camping? That might be the most cost effective answer. A night in a campground, in a place with showers, could very well cost the same or less than 2 truck stop showers.

How much money do you think you'll have available?