1. Default Road trip San Diego -Jerome-Grand Canyon-San Francisco: Mid January

Dear All
    We plan a 8 days road trip starting in San Diego mid january and going to Jerome (1 night), Grand Canyon (2 nights), Las Vegas (may be 1 night)), Death Valley (1 night), Cambria, Monterey (1 night), San Francisco
    As we are from Europe (France), we do not (1) if it is realistic to do in a week, (2) if the roads are ok at this period of the year...
    If you have advise on nice roads better than others ....place to stay better than others, motel, hotel, B and B.....
    Everything is welcome

Merci

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I think your plan looks pretty reasonable. The one spot I think you'll need a little more time is along the California Coast. It would be a pretty long day to get from Death Valley to Monterey via Cambria/Big Sur. If you leave early from in Vegas, you could spend most of the day exploring DV, and then still make it a few miles outside of the park, perhaps spending then night around Lake Isabella, making for a shorter drive to the coast.

You would have the chance of seeing some snow, with Northern Arizona (Grand Canyon) being the most likely areas, all of the roads you're talking about are maintained year round.

Quote Originally Posted by christineParis View Post
    Dear All
    As we are from Europe (France), we do not (1) if it is realistic to do in a week, (2) if the roads are ok at this period of the year...
    I would agree with Michael about the section LV to Monterey. The roads will be maintained.

....place to stay better than others, motel, hotel, B and B.....
    As far as hotels are concerned, traveling in mid-January should allow you some choice. If you are looking to stay at the El Tovar at the Grand Canyon, they are probably already booked, but you still might be able to get in on a cancellation. If not, try some of the inns at Tusayan or Williams (which is about 60 miles south of the South Rim of the GC).

Donna

4. Default

Thank you for your advice. On our plan we can take an extra day to drive along the Pacific coast.
    Is it possible to take other roads than motorways ? and a very naive question : are motorways toll-free? WHat kind of budget per day to we have to plan with petrol and tolls ?
    and other stupid questions: will we find petrol station without problems everywhere during our road trip ?

Again thank you very much !

In the US, we have three types of "main highways": state routes, US routes, and the Interstate highway system. In some jurisdictions, interstates or US routes have been changed into toll roads. There may be some in SF and LV, but usually it's easy to route yourself around them. There are also surface streets, of course.

Fuel/gas/petrol stations are abundant. We have a rule in our family: when the tank reads 1/2 full, we start to search for an inexpensive station. These days, regular unleaded is running $3.50/gallon in our part of California, so you might want to use that to budget. My husband has an app on his smartphone called GasBuddy, and I have the same website (gasbuddy.com) bookmarked on the laptop that we travel with. When we're comfortable in a hotel for the night, I start looking through Gas Buddy to find the next day's fuel stops.

Donna

The only toll roads you are going to find on this trip are the bridges in the SF area and some "express lanes" on the freeways in the LA/SD area, which you cannot use without a transponder anyway. I believe the SF area bridges average about $6 to cross, they accept cash.

For rough planning purposes, plan on about 20 US cents a mile for petrol.

7. Default

Merci!
    we arrive tomorrow and we cannot wait to start our roadtrip....

8. Default

Thank you for your help.
    We are back in France but we had a fantastic time in our road trip

Default Thanks.

Thank you for dopping by with an update and It's nice to hear that you had a good trip !