1. Default Chicago to DC/January/3-4 days

We've done the drive many times, though not in January except once during an unfortunate series of snowstorms. Looking for interesting places to stop overnight (lodges, inns, lovely towns, etc._ given mid-winter conditions (ie interiors are more interesting than outdoor stuff)...we are taking our time..three to four days.

Tucson, AZ

Default Whether the Weather is Good

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

My basic recommendation would be very much weather dependent. If the weather looks good just before you leave, then I would think that some combination of the old Lincoln Highway (US-30) and National Road (US-40) would be a great combination of scenic farmland through the Midwest, Amish country in east-central Ohio, and using the Potomac River valley to cross the Appalachians and enter Washington.

However, if it looks as though you're going to have significant snow or ice during your drive, then you would be far better off sticking to the Interstates (I-80/I-76/I-70) and enjoying a nice warm interior during the worst of it. Unfortunately, such last minute decisions preclude making hard and fast plans or reservations, but at that time of year you should be able to find some nice accommodations at the last minute, particularly if you do a little homework beforehand and know of some possibilities along each possible route.