1. Default Another California road trip

We will be flying into LA, and out of San Francisco in late April/early May. Driving up the coast as much as possible, hopefully all the way to the northern coast. I am debating motel reservations, or winging it. We have 11 days, so our schedule is flexible. But would it be more stressful to not reserve places to stay, or should they be easy to find in early spring? My fear is making reservations and not liking the areas that I have randomly chosen. This will be our first road trip to CA, and I want it to be magnificent! Thanks!

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

As long as you are flexible with where you are willing to stay, reservations shouldn't be required. You're not really talking about a peak travel period. It could be a bit more stressful, as you will have to leave time to hunt for a room at the end of the day rather than know exactly where you are pulling up for the night, but the freedom and flexibility could very well be worth it for you.

Are you just doing the coast, or are you also heading to inland areas of California?

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    Welcome to the RTA Forum!

As long as you are flexible with where you are willing to stay, reservations shouldn't be required. You're not really talking about a peak travel period. It could be a bit more stressful, as you will have to leave time to hunt for a room at the end of the day rather than know exactly where you are pulling up for the night, but the freedom and flexibility could very well be worth it for you.

Are you just doing the coast, or are you also heading to inland areas of California?
    The coast is our main interest, but wine country and the redwoods are also on the agenda. We would also like to do at least a one night stay overlooking the San Francisco bay area. As you can see I am just starting to plan this trip. I am slowly going through all of the other "CA posts", but any input or recommendations you have would be greatly appreciated.

4. Default

Can anyone suggest a place to stay in Santa Barbara for just 2 nights. We decided to fly into SB to avoid the traffic in LA. Everything I've seen is 2-300 in late April..really?

Default Look deeper.

I'm sure you can do a lot better than that. A quick search on the RTA browser for late April showed quite a few options nearer to a hundred dollars, with one coming up at $39.

Below the RTA reservations [found to the top right of this page] you can also search for 'deeper discounts'.

I don't know where you are looking but putting the relevant info into your search engine should come up with far better results than you have found so far. You might find cheaper options a little way out of town.