Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Las Vegas to Mammoth Lakes - is one day enough

This has probably been asked a thousand times - but we are planning on leaving LV early morning 8/9am) to get to Mammoth Lakes as a base to then see Yosemite for two days (second night we will be staying in park or closer to park). I am not sure if one day is enough to get from LV to Mammoth via Death Valley and cannot find anywhere with decent accommodation available in early July this year (2013).

If one day is not enough - where should we stay - we like decent places to stay as this is part of a four week tour of California in July. We have picked Mammoth Lakes as it looks big enough to get a range of accommodation and I have always wanted to stay at a ski resort in summer (all other trips to US are for skiing)

Thanks for a great forum - I simply cannot believe how comprehensive a site it is. Congratulations to the many people who must contribute.

Default Quite comfortable.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

Yes it would be possible to get to Mammoth Lakes the same day. From Vegas take 160 to Pahrump and then just north of town turn left on West Bell Vista Ave/Bell Vista road/Ash Meadows Rd to Death valley junction where you turn right and immediately left on 190 to Furnace Creek. Continue on 190 to 136 to Lone Pine and north on 395. With a few stops in Death valley [Zabriske point, Furnace creek, the Sand dunes etc,] it will be a full day on the road but quite comfortable. From Furnace creek you could detour to Badwater which is the lowest point in the USA.

I would have thought finding lodgings around Mammoth wouldn't be a problem this early on, but if you struggle you could stop in Bishop and then stay in the park, or to the west side of the mountains, Groveland, Mariposa etc.

On a side note, Death valley gets real hot in the summer months and arriving to the Furnace creek/Badwater area earlier in the day would have it's advantages !
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 06-21-2013 at 01:25 AM. Reason: Typo error

Default Plenty of lodging options.

I just checked on the RTA reservations page using a random date during July and it came up with quite a few lodging choices for Mammoth Lakes starting at $75 per night.

4. Default

Thanks SW Dave - I think we are going to go for he Westin at Mammoth as they have aircon, which we might be needing. Death Valley will have to be a drive through with a brief stop, heat permitting.

Your route seems to come back into CA and follow what looks like a smaller road (190 to 136) - I had presumed the 05 through Nevada was a better/easier route? Any reason you suggest the 190 and 136? It looks much longer - I presume it is a better drive/view/stops?

Not really longer at all, you would be leaving Death Valley through the west entrance, and US-395 is a very scenic road.

Default Us95 ?

I had presumed the 05 through Nevada was a better/easier route?
    Do you mean using US95 ? That route doesn't go through Death valley.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    Do you mean using US95 ? That route doesn't go through Death valley.
    Oh, well I guess I'll be going your way then!

Thanks - booking it up right now.

Default You won't regret it !

It doesn't take much longer but you will have to add extra time for stops and sight seeing. It's a wonderful drive through an amazing landscape and although it could easily take up your day, it will be relaxed and well worth it !

If you think of any questions for any other parts of your trip that you may need help with, just ask in this thread.

Have a great trip !

RE air conditioning -- though many places no longer advertise it, I think most motels and hotels offer A/C these days. We've never found one without it, especially in the southwest deserts. (A place up in Maine offered it. We didn't need it, but it was there!)

Donna

Quote Originally Posted by kmeand View Post
    I think we are going to go for he Westin at Mammoth as they have aircon, which we might be needing.
    I have to agree with Donna, I can't think of any motel I've ever stayed at anywhere in the US or Canada that did not have air conditioning. I'm virtually certain that every hotel in Mammoth and the surrounding area will have A/C. It's simply assumed that the motel will have it, so most don't bother mentioning. It's basically the same with rental cars, most places don't need to mention that their cars have AC, because its so common that it is just assumed.

In other words, that doesn't need to be a factor at all in picking your hotel or stopping point.