Default Road Travel Reporting Site -- in the UK

This is an interesting concept -- doesn't really apply for RTA, because it is located in the UK, but I am interested in knowing if anyone has used this? And what they think of it?

Mark

Default I've not seen it before.

It's a new one to me and quite interesting. I clicked on a couple of notorious slow spots which confirmed the traffic was slow moving so it could be useful in that respect. The problem is you can't create routes, plus the speed data is only for main roads, so you can't easily find a way around these spots knowing that you will save time, unless you know the area. The weather reports are easy to navigate and quick to respond, so it's good for basic info, but having to go elsewhere to create your route is a big downside.

It'll be interesting to see how it develops.

[I'm wondering if the road traffic cops might find it interesting though ! As I was checking, there was a strech of the M27 where cars were travelling at an average of 74mph. Whereas you would be unlikely to get a ticket for travelling at 74mph [70mph limit] it tells me that some will be doing way beyond that to get an average like that.]

Dave

Default more questions

Yeah, I'd love to have someone drive one of these sections and confirm how accurate the reports tend to be.

Thanks for looking into this!

Mark

Default Camera monitoring tale.

I'm not 100% sure that government ANPR [Automatic Number Plate Recognition] cameras are used for this program, as they also monitor movement of traffic as well as individuals, but I'm sure glad we have the ANPR system. [Many are not in favour of 'Big Brother' watching every move]

This really is off topic, but for some strange reason wanted to share my night of events. lol

I was woken at 2am [UK time] by the phone ringing, it was my business partner telling me that our pick up truck had just been stolen ! [He also had the police on the phone and wanted to confirm registration details.] I jumped in my car and hit the road hoping to get lucky and in a way I did. After searching the immediate area I had to pick one of 3 possible routes out of town [advantage of living by the sea] and chose the quieter one heading north towards London, the A24. After some 'interesting' driving I had, what looked like in the dark, a pick up truck in my sights. I caught up with the vehicle to discover it was in fact a a pick up, but not mine. I did however find it odd that it was the same make/model as mine and it looked out of place in the early hours of the morning. Unladen, grubby, to late for going home after a night out and too early to be starting work, although not impossible. I decided to report back and continue to follow this truck rather than pass it in search of mine, there were just too many turn offs from the main road so I stuck with my hunch and hoped he would lead the way. [These pick ups are targeted and often stripped for parts in farm buildings, or re registered in Ireland]

After reporting where I was and the direction I was headed the police used the ANPR cameras and got a hit on my truck having gone through there. Police cars started flying past me [and the truck in front] at intervals of a few minutes in pursuit. Eventually I caught back up with the action where there were six or seven police cars with lights ablaze surrounding my truck. It took 25 miles and a 'Stinger' to flatten the tyres before the chase was brought to a halt.

I'm not sure if the truck driver had known I was following him or not, but his driving would suggest his nerves were 'jangling'. As we arrived and slowed to where the commotion was, I stopped and told the nearest officer about the other truck, who was now being waved through the blockage. There was confusion, as the officer I was talking to knew nothing of me being on the road or the other vehicle, by the time I had made myself clear the police set about finding the truck but came back empty handed. They were not convinced about my hunch, because of the arrested mans statement ,and the fact that this truck remained on the main road, when seeing the police cars passing, instead of turning off.

I had the registration plate number and the local police [not traffic police] said they would run it through the ANPR system to see if they could spot it with 2 people inside [with the arrested man] heading south, to connect it to the crime. I have just been informed that they have now arrested a second man for questioning following their enquiries.

All in all a good result, however I now have a work truck in a police compound with a broken steering lock and ignition barrel, with two flat tyres. Now to deal with the insurance company !

Dave.

Default "Secret Agent Man"

Now we can call you "secret agent man!"

Quite a tale --

Default Ha ha.

The Sheriff always gets his man !

Dave.

[Dealing with the Insurance people and trying to get the truck back on the road is a whole new ball game ! ]

Default What was he doing up at 2am?

Wow! Dave. What a story. Glad there was a positive outcome. But what I am more interested in, what was your partner doing at 2am, to even know the truck was stolen?

I am constantly amazed at the number of crimes which are solved here, with the help of footage from cameras.

Lifey