sold house 7yr ago and on road fulltime in Australia

Default custer state park tunnels in a 19 foot RV

Good Aye
    My wife and self from Australia will be touring the USA for three months in a C19 foot RV. One of the places we would like to visit is Custer State Park in late May. We would like to travel from Mt Rushmore to Custer State Park. I note that there a three tunnels on Iron Mountain road (US-16A). Has anyone on the forum driven on this road with an RV? If so how large was your RV?
    We will be staying for two days and then travelling onto Crazy Horse memorial via US 16/385 as the Needles Highway with one tunnel at 10'7" seems quite low.
    Any help would be appreciated
    ned111

Default Way to low.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

I have not driven these particular roads in an RV, but I can tell you that the recommended clearance height for a class 'C ' RV is aprox 12ft because of the overhead bunk above the cab, lenght will not matter. The official tunnel height limit is 9feet 7inches along Iron mountain road according to this site, which isn't even close ! You are going to have to find another route to the Crazy Horse Memorial too.

Default A different story.

Having dug a little deeper and noticing photos of the tunnels that I thought looked higher, I found this Custer State park map would suggest otherwise ! The lowest of the 3 Iron Mountain tunnels is listed as 12feet 2inches, but boy that would be tight !! The tunnels do look square rather than arched which helps, as you don't get reduced height to the sides but I think it may be a case of going to the visitor centre and check with those that will know for sure. I'm not 100% sure, but I think the 12feet clearance for the RV is generous and includes the air conditioner box on top, but double check everything and then check again. We have taken a 'C' class RV through a tunnel that was 16feet in the middle and 11feet 5inches at the side and it still felt a bit of a squeeze !

It would also appear that 2 of the tunnels has a bypass option available.

Thanks Southwest Dave. It looks like you found the same Custer state map as myself. I have looked on Google USA maps and it looks like I can get to the park by heading east from Mt rushmore on US-16 and then heading South on 79S for 9 miles and then head West on 16AW.
    I have sent an email to CruiseAmerica to find out the height of the RV and I have seen some photos of buses going through the tunnels (very tight) BUT if there is any doubt I'll have no hesitation of going a longer way. I am hoping there is some one on the forum who has driven to Custer to give me some insight and suggestions.
    Thanks from ned111

I've driven Iron Mountain Road, and it is one of my all-time favorite scenic drives, however, I haven't done so in an RV. I don't have a perfect memory of the tunnel sizes, but I think it would at the very least be very challenging to make the drive in an RV. In addition to the low clearance, the approach to the tunnels is basically a corkscrew-style road/bridge.
    it looks like I can get to the park by heading east from Mt rushmore on US-16 and then heading South on 79S for 9 miles and then head West on 16AW.
    This would not be the route I would take. Rather than going all the way back to Rapid City, Instead I'd head west and then south to the city of Custer via SD-244 to US-16/US-385, then enter the west side of Custer State Park via US-16A. This will be a shorter and much more scenic drive. It also goes right past the Crazy Horse Memorial if you are interested in stopping there.

Thanks Midwest Michael

I will be coming from the Badlands national Park and my intention was to go via Rapid City and onto Mt Rushmore. After visiting Mt Rushmore I was going to travel to Custer State park and camp for two days. After travelling the wild life loop I intend to travel to Crazy Horse Memorial and then onto Deadwood. I have sent an email to the park enquiring about the tunnels and an email to Cruise America to find out the height of the RV. If there is any doubt about the tunnels on Iron Mountain road, I thought the alternative route after Mt Rushmore would be to go East and then South on highway 40 and come into the park at the Peter Norbeck centre. After our stay leave the park via Custer and onto Crazy Horse. Does this seem viable
    With thanks from ned111

The alternate route you've listed also seems like it would work, although I'm not sure exactly which route you are using to head south from SD-40. Are you planning to go all the way out to Hermosa?

In any case, let me offer you an alternate idea that is essentially the reverse of what I did on my last trip out there.

Instead of going from the Badlands to Rapid City, go from the Badlands directly to Custer State Park. Don't just see the Badland Loop - continue into the western edges of the park - and then head onto CSP either via SD-44 and SD-79 or go all the way south to SD-40 depending upon how much time you have. After CSP, then head onto Crazy Horse, Mount Rushmore, and onto Deadwood.

Thanks Midwest Michael
    Thanks for the info. The SD-44 seems the go. Have decided to stay one night in Badlands and then drive the Badlands Loop road the next day and as you suggested exit in the west of the park. Have decided to stay three nights (two full days)in Custer as I'm hoping this will give us the chance to see the wildlife. After Deadwood will visit Devil's Tower and onto Yellowstone. Athough we have some flexibility I think I will have to reserve a campsite at Yellowstone as Memorial day will fall during the three days I am there.
    Thanks again for your input
    ned111

Default I would.

I would definitely book an RV site for Yellowstone, asap !