1. Default Roadtrip advice - Aspen to Las Vegas, taking in the Grand Canyon?

Hi All

I'm a South African traveling to the USA with my family (wife, a 10 and a 12 year old), we'll be skiing at Snowmass and then driving down to Las Vegas on the 4th of January for which I have rented a SUV taking the potential road conditions into account. We have allowed two days for the trip.

The best route seems to be I70 onto the I15 and I was wondering if anybody had any advice or insight to offer on:

a) recommended overnight stops along this route, or should I just push through (conditions allowing) to Las Vegas (we're planning to leave Aspen early on the Friday morning)

b) possible alternative routes that may be more scenic and interesting. I would however prefer to avoid any particularly challenging or treacherous roads, as although I have some experience driving in icy conditions as you can imagine we don't get to drive in snow in SA.

c) we would like to visit the Skywalk at the Grand Canyon and I was wondering whether it was an option to route this way before getting to Vegas (at the moment the plan is to drive from Vegas there on a day trip). This option does not look as straight forward as coming down the I70/I15 but I would appreciate any advice or insight in this regard.

Any other advice or insight is most welcomed, especially wrt to what I need to be aware of or look out for!

Kind Regards

South of England.

Default GC National park

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

With good conditions it would be possible to reach Vegas the same day but wouldn't be a lot of fun. I would certainly recommend stopping on route and if the weather turned nasty you would most likely have to stop anyway. If you just wanted to stop for the night to rest, Cedar City would make a reasonable day on the road. Of course you have many options if you wanted to take the opportunity to sight see. You could stop early in Moab UT for the night and spend a little time at Arches NP before driving to Vegas next day, or stop later in the day at Springdale and explore Zion NP before continuing to Vegas.

Then of course is the Grand canyon option. I personally wouldn't bother with the Skywalk as it's not a patch on the National Parks 'wonder of the world' in my opinion. At the south rim you will find the views that made the canyon famous throughout the world through film and photography and not a tourist trap that is both more costly and less rewarding visually. [imo] Most day tours from Vegas go to the Skywalk on the west rim [which is on Indian lands] but the South rim NP is more than a day trip from Vegas. To visit the South rim on the way to Vegas you could take 191 through Moab and 163 through the iconic Monument valley to 160/89/64 into GC. For a one night stop the Cameron Trading Post would be a good option to overnight, or if you can find a deal to suit your budget you could make it to lodgings within the National Park.

If you could spare an extra night on the road and 'catch' GC on the way you have plenty of options to choose from, the Colorado NM, Arches and Canyonlands NP, Monument Valley, Grand canyon and Hoover dam being a few of them. It's a scenic drive with lots of wonders along it and personally I would use the 'GC' day as an extra one on the road, not an extra day in Vegas.