Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1

    Default driving hwy 191 from colorado---->666 hway to gallup dec 23/24

    hi everyone! great resource this website and all.

    we're driving seattle--->gallup, nm for christmas. planning to take major highways til we get to I-70 east @ crescent junction, where we're planning to drive south on 191 in utah til monticello, then hang a left on 666--->on down to gallup.

    any advice about winter driving 191 & 666 in the winter? we have chains, front wheel drive, provisions, etc. ought we consider another route?

    many thanks!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    9,358

    Default Desolate Beauty

    Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

    You are considering taking some of my favorite highways in the Southwest. US-191 is wide-open two-lane road on the high Colorado Plateau where you'll be driving and is possessed of a stark, desolate beauty all its own, so I'm not going to suggest any major changes. But a few small ones may be in order. You can save yourself a bit of driving by leaving the 'major highways' a tad sooner, at Spanish Forks UT, and taking US-6 to its junction with US-191. Then at Monticello you should at least consider the alternative of staying on US-191 all the way down to Ganado AZ before hanging your left to Gallup. This alternative is a bit less hilly and will take you by both Canyon de Chelly National Monument and the Hubbell Trading Post National Historic Site (and still a working trading post for the Navajo Nation), although to be fair the route you have proposed does take you near Mesa Verde National Park - tough choice.

    A coupe of things to keep in mind: Once you leave the Interstates and head into the Four Corners area, services will start to get a bit more sparse. You'll probably never be more than 25 miles or so from food and fuel, but it will be a good idea to keep an eye on the gas guage. I also don't think that you'll find any signage anymore for "US-666". All such designations have now been removed in favor of the more appropriate US-191 and US-491 postings. Finally, as far as weather goes. You will need to keep an eye on the most up-to-date forecasts as your trip nears and as you progress on your drive. The best things you can have going for you are a good knowledge of your own capabilities (Do NOT expect your vehicle to get you through conditions you've never driven in before!), and enough spare time to simply wait out any adverse weather and continue only once the roads have been cleared.

    AZBuck

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Green County, Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,063

    Default time for a new map?

    If your maps are still showing a route 666, then I think you should make sure to pickup a new atlas. 666 was decommissioned 10 years ago, so yours are apparently at least a decade old! As buck mention the route now is generally numbered us-491.

  4. #4

    Default thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    If your maps are still showing a route 666, then I think you should make sure to pickup a new atlas. 666 was decommissioned 10 years ago, so yours are apparently at least a decade old! As buck mention the route now is generally numbered us-491.
    yes, old maps! LOL! one map i have shows 491, the other 666. and i'll also check out the alternate ideas you've suggested. and yes to full gas gauge, knowing limits, resting it out if weather turns sour.

  5. #5

    Default

    many thanks. i'll update maps and take a look at your suggestions! happy holidays!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    South of England.
    Posts
    10,748

    Default Time.

    There is no mention of how long you have planned to take for this trip. With good weather you should allow a minimum 2.5 days and have a little 'wiggle' room incase of adverse weather that could dely your progress. If you had longer you could do a little sight seeing along the way. For example if you stopped around Mountain Home ID on night 1, it would set night 2 up to be spent in Moab quite nicely. If you had the full day to finish your journey to Gallup you would have the option of spending a little time in Arches or Canyonlands NP, among many other attractions in the area, it comes down to time and indeed, whether or not sight seeing is on your agenda.

    Edit] I now notice that from your title you have 2 days for the trip which is slightly above the limit of what we would advise as safe distance over 2 days. It's doable if thwe weather is kind, but you are going to pretty tired when you arrive late on christmas eve. If a heavy storm were to arrive while you were travelling it could make things worse. If you have the option I would consider leaving on the 22nd even if you would only be able to get 2 or 3 hours head start.

    Have a safe trip !
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 12-17-2012 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Added comment

  7. #7

    Default thank you, still considering~

    Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    There is no mention of how long you have planned to take for this trip. With good weather you should allow a minimum 2.5 days and have a little 'wiggle' room incase of adverse weather that could dely your progress. If you had longer you could do a little sight seeing along the way. For example if you stopped around Mountain Home ID on night 1, it would set night 2 up to be spent in Moab quite nicely. If you had the full day to finish your journey to Gallup you would have the option of spending a little time in Arches or Canyonlands NP, among many other attractions in the area, it comes down to time and indeed, whether or not sight seeing is on your agenda.

    Edit] I now notice that from your title you have 2 days for the trip which is slightly above the limit of what we would advise as safe distance over 2 days. It's doable if thwe weather is kind, but you are going to pretty tired when you arrive late on christmas eve. If a heavy storm were to arrive while you were travelling it could make things worse. If you have the option I would consider leaving on the 22nd even if you would only be able to get 2 or 3 hours head start.

    Have a safe trip !
    Thank you. I'm still mulling this over. Storms are moving through the four corners area as I write. We may just not do it at all or take the less scenic route of I-5 to Bakersfield, hang a left on I-40 and traverse across Arizona, which may present fewer hazards, perhaps.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Green County, Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,063

    Default

    I would say that would be a very poor idea.

    First, I-5 sees plenty of winter storms, especially in Oregon and Northern California. You also have plenty of chances to see snow in Northern Arizona (as I-40 crosses elevations of about 7,000 feet.)

    Second, such a route adds 400 miles of driving to your trip. Now your trip, which was on the very edge of what you can safely do in 2 days, would now require a minimum of 3 full days. Not only does that mean another day on the road, it is another day where you could see bad weather, and its a day you would not have available if conditions require you to wait for a storm to pass.

  9. #9

    Default skype anyone?

    Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    I would say that would be a very poor idea.

    First, I-5 sees plenty of winter storms, especially in Oregon and Northern California. You also have plenty of chances to see snow in Northern Arizona (as I-40 crosses elevations of about 7,000 feet.)

    Second, such a route adds 400 miles of driving to your trip. Now your trip, which was on the very edge of what you can safely do in 2 days, would now require a minimum of 3 full days. Not only does that mean another day on the road, it is another day where you could see bad weather, and its a day you would not have available if conditions require you to wait for a storm to pass.
    hm. well, maybe we'll visualize the trip and skype from home!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    South of England.
    Posts
    10,748

    Default Hold off on Skype for now !

    I don't think there is need for such drastic action at the moment, adding 400 miles or cancelling the trip, but I appreciate your humour ! ;-) I originally just wanted to draw your attention that it would be 2 long days on the road and with the possibility of weather disruption, could become longer and that you should plan accordingly.

    Although the temps look low in Moab and Gallup on Monday and there is a risk of snow in Moab, it doesn't look like much at the moment to cause serious disruption and is less likely to arrive until later in the day. There looks to be just a chance of rain on Sunday through Boise and Salt Lake so you might be just fine yet. Keep an eye on how things unfold and see what happens. As I mentioned, an extra few hours under your belt on the 22nd would make things much easier, and is still what I would recommend if at all possible. It might save being on the road for long hours in the dark when the roads can become pretty slick. I just got quick forecasts using Wunderground.

    Hope it all works out for you !

Similar Threads

  1. Driving NJ to Colorado
    By Kerrey in forum Planning Summer RoadTrips
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-15-2012, 01:28 PM
  2. Driving from Jackson,MS to Colorado through New Mexico
    By lwillow246 in forum Spring RoadTrips
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-09-2011, 01:43 PM
  3. Driving thru Colorado with a trailer
    By OnEwOrLd in forum Spring RoadTrips
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-07-2007, 03:59 AM
  4. Driving thru Colorado
    By in forum Gear-Up!
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-07-2003, 12:43 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Find the Perfect Hotel
    Search RoadTrip Motels
    Enter city name

    Loading...



  • MORE STORIES