Hello All, I searched in the various forums, but could not get what I wanted so posting this thread.
We are driving to Taos in the next couple of weeks with 4 kids (2x4yrs, 2x8ys). Planning to go without any overnight stopover as we have two drivers minimum. So need some advice on route and I've several questions. Couple of routes:
Route A: Austin->Lubbock->Las Vegas->Taos (US 84/518) = 700 miles ~12 hrs = ~60mph (shortest and scenic)
Route B: Austin->El Paso-> Taos (I-10 and 1-25) = 975 miles ~14 hrs = ~70mph
1. White route is best safety wise and road conditions?
2. On Route A, how treacherous is from Las Vegas to Taos on 518 in the night considering winter drive?
3. Why Route A has only 60mph average. Many towns to slowdown? or single lane roads?
4. How are food the options on Route A? Should we packup food or do we have enough options along the way (especially after Lubbock)? For emergency we do packup, but I'm asking for proper lunch and dinner.
5. What are good/safe places along the way again on Route A for rest/restroom breaks?
6. By taking 3 to 4 hours of breaks on Route A (lunch/dinner/rest/stretch breaks), do you think 14hrs (do people do more than 60mph average speed?) is reasonable or 16 hours?
7. Will the total drive time be same even on Route B as we are driving interstate highways? We will miss scenic drive from Las Vegas to Tao, but we can try to take this route while going from Taos to Santa Fe (doubles the distance, but if its worth it then we can do it -- we are thinking of doing Turquoise Trail and Cloudcrof drive too so not sure whether we have to 84 and 518 drive).
Appreciate your recommendations and any suggestions.