Default Newbie! - Planning my first Road Trip - Connecticut to New Orleans

I'm new to this board and planning my first road trip! Connecticut to New Orleans via Nashville and Memphis at the beginning of June 2013. We are on sort of a Man v. Food inspired road trip so if you know of any must-stop eateries, let me know! I'm definitely in the very beginning stages so any tips would be apprecated. Thanks!

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

Some baseline questions so we can help you better:

How much time do you have for your trip?
    Besides the eateries, what other things will you be looking for on your trip? Are you more interested in cities or rural areas? Natural wonders?

We're thinking of leaving on a Friday and being back in CT by the next Sunday. I definitely want to hit a music venue or two in Memphis and/or Nashville. Since we don't have a lot of time, I think cities would be best but if we could drive via a scenic route at some point that would be nice too. We're not adverse to driving long distances at a time so I'm wondering if maybe a stop in Memphis on the way down and a stop in Nashville on the way back??

Even if you don't mind driving long distances, you really can't make it to New Orleans in just 2 days, especially if you go via Nashville or Memphis, and you certainly can't drive straight from CT to either Nashville or Memphis. They are both more than 1000 miles away, and that means 2 pretty full days, no matter how many people you have.

With a little over a week, you still should be able to have time for this trip, but you have to dial back how far you think you can drive in a day. You might want to look for some good college towns to spend the night in the middle, as they often good place to look for restaurants with unique food offerings or challenges.

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    Even if you don't mind driving long distances, you really can't make it to New Orleans in just 2 days, especially if you go via Nashville or Memphis, and you certainly can't drive straight from CT to either Nashville or Memphis. They are both more than 1000 miles away, and that means 2 pretty full days, no matter how many people you have.
    Good point. I was just looking at the mileage and thinking no way. Wonder if I should go down through the route that AAA gave me (through Knoxville) and down to New Orleans and then maybe stop in Memphis on the way back. Do you think 3 days driving each way would be good? I was planning on staying in New Orleans for 4 nights. Now I just need to figure out where to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    With a little over a week, you still should be able to have time for this trip, but you have to dial back how far you think you can drive in a day. You might want to look for some good college towns to spend the night in the middle, as they often good place to look for restaurants with unique food offerings or challenges.
    Any suggestions??

Thanks!

Default Making It Work

It's true that you really don't have a lot of time for this trip, but you should have enough to make it work. It will take a minimum of three days driving each way, but you can make good use of your ten days, spend an evening in each of Nashville and Memphis, and still have four days in New Orleans - as long as the weather cooperates.

You're probably quite used to driving through New York City, so what you should do is leave early Friday morning and head right for I-78 west out of NYC to I-81 south around Harrisburg. I-81 is one of the more scenic Interstates and for much of your drive you'll be following the Great Valley between the Blue Ridge and Allegheny Ranges. Overnight around Lexington VA. Charlottesville is a good sized city and home to the University of Virginia. Take I-40 west from I-81 and that will put you in good shape to arrive in Nashville on Saturday evening with plenty of time to enjoy the nightlife there.

But from Nashville, hold off on Memphis for the time being and instead head down I-65 to Birmingham and then I-59 to New Orleans. This is simply to make better use of your time. Have your four full days in New Orleans and then on your return trip head up I-55 to Memphis. Again, with any kind of reasonably early start out of New Orleans this will put you on Beale Street at the start of the evening with time to hit a few of the many music venues and restaurants there. Next day get an early start and head for home. Plan on spending the night around Blacksburg VA, home of Virginia Tech University and you'll be in shape to be in you own beds the following night.

AZBuck

Great. Thanks!!