1. Default Road trip Eastern US, Apr/May 2013

Me and my girlfriend are planning our second US roadtrip after the one we had last year(Seattle - LA - LV -GC - Denver) was amazing.

We have bought plane tickets to New York the 25.04 and are returning from Miami the 18.05, and have some questions on what to see and do.

First of all: Is it a good idea to rent a car in New york, or should we explore new york, philly and washington by train/greyhound, and then rent a car in washington?

On our trip we want to include nature and hiking, amusement parks(Orland?), microbreweries, "off the path"- towns and places, southern cooking and a beach holiday at the end of our trip.

We have heard that western florida has the best beaches, and we really whant to visit Savannah. But that, besides NY,Washington and Miami, is the only things we have thought of.

We would really appreciate any ideas and suggestions for our trip!

Tucson, AZ

Default It All Depends

As with all trips, the precise choices to make depend on your own interests and proclivities. Let's start with the car. Certainly there is no need for a car in New York City. It is served by an excellent (if aging) subway and bus system that can get you anywhere you want to go, while trying to drive and park a car is time consuming, expensive, and just an annoyance. The same can be said about Washington where the subway system is much newer and the sights much more centrally located. The one exception might be Philadelphia. Maybe it's just that familiarity breeds contempt and I worked in Philly for a few years, but I was never that much impressed by its public transportation system. Still, it does have subways (Two!, one north-south, one east-west), busses, and trolley lines that will get you where you want to go and, like Washington, the historic sites are all within relatively easy walking distance of each other. So, unless you are also planning to see some attractions between those three cities, public transportation would be an attractive, cost-saving, alternative until you are ready to strike out for points south. You will also save further if you rent your car from an off-airport site.

As for what to see on the RoadTrip portion. everything you're looking for can be found on the way down to Florida. There are a couple of choices for your basic route, and brewpubs are practically everywhere. I'm not exactly what you mean by "western Florida has the best beaches", largely because I don't know what you mean by "western Florida' or "best". The Florida panhandle (the part that stretches west along the northern shore of the Gulf of Mexico) has some beaches but is more wetlands than beach resorts. The western shore of Florida certainly has its share of beaches, some fairly secluded, but it too is on the Gulf and won't see the wave action of the beaches on the eastern, Atlantic, shore. So it comes down to what you're looking for in your beach experience. There will be somewhere in Florida with conditions to meet your desires.