1. Default 2 week round trip nyc to grand canyon

Is it possible to have decent time driving from nyc to the Grand Canyon in two weeks? Am I trying to do to much

Thanks

Welcome!

A round trip via Interstate highways, driving 10 to 12 hours a day, with no sightseeing diversions will take you 9 days. With 2 weeks, you should have time to spend a couple days at the GC and also be able to visit a few other selected places .

Default It's Amazing What You Can Do In Two Weeks

For an idea of what you can accomplish over a couple of weeks if you're willing to do some planning and can keep moving while visiting sites along the way, take a look at this Trip Report of a 7000+ mile trip over a similar time frame.

AZBuck

4. Default

Thanks for answering so quickly. Was thinking of going to yellowstone cannot make up my mind. Which trip would be easier if tat can be said

Default You're Call

There's actually only about a 200 mile difference (2200 miles to Yellowstone vs 2400 miles to the Grand Canyon) in those two destinations. That's not enough, by itself, to choose one over the other. What you should do is look at the routes to both and what's near those routes that's of interest to you. Remember that whatever you choose as a final goal, you'll actually be spending far more time on the road than at your destination.

AZBuck

Exactly when in the spring will you be taking this trip? Yellowstone may not be fully open to wheeled vehicles yet.

7. Default

Once again thank you. I guess 2 weeks to Grand Canyon looking at video clips that looks very scenic Maybe be a bit bold. I want a nice road trip maybe the blue ridge highway. l was also thinking then smoky mountain national park.

Default Some Help With Your Planning

OK, it seems as though you've chosen to head south and then west to the Grand Canyon for your Spring trip. That's great, and there are certainly a number of worthwhile attractions and scenic routes along the way to make the RoadTrip itself enjoyable. Now you should start by plotting out your basic route and seeing what those attractions and routes are.

The first thing you should look into is the Blue Ridge Parkway (BRP). Although it is certainly scenic, it also has issues with snow and ice and portions of it are closed well into Spring. Oddly enough, those closed portions are more prevalent the farther south you go as the road climbs in elevation and has a number of tunnels that take quite a while to warm up and become ice-free each year. You may want to take I-81 down the Shenandoah Valley on the way out and save the BRP for the return trip when things have warmed up a bit more and you'll have a better idea of how much time you have to spare for this significantly slower roadway.

As for things to see, that will be determined by what interests you. If history is your thing, then there are plenty of Revolutionary and Civil War sites as you work your way through the South; and cavalry forts, cowboy museums and Indian reservations as you head west. If you're more interested in music, there are great live venues in Nashville, Memphis and Austin among others. Natural wonders? The Canyon, of course, but also the Appalachians, the Mississippi, the Red River Valley, the Llano Estacado, and the Red Rock regions of Arizona. Take your time and start wandering the web. Let your imagination run free. You won't be able to get too far from your main route with your time restrictions, but neither do you have to stick to just what's near the exits. We'll be happy to help you, but the more you put into it and make it your Roadtrip, the happier you'll be with it.

AZBuck

9. Default

AZBuck thank you for your helpful advise. I plan on picking up a road atlas and mapping out distances etc. I enjoy driving so I think this trip will be fun. I think this site and forum is wonderful

Default A loop.

Another option worthy of consideration would be to make your trip more of a loop. On the way out you could head towards Denver and I70 through the Rockies. You won't have a lot of free time to visit from the choice of hundreds [thousands] of attractions but I70 is scenic and then when you get into Utah you could head to Moab [Arches and Canyonlands] and down through Monument valley to the South rim [which is wonderful desert/red rock scenery] before starting towards home on I40 via Shenandoah etc.