Default Cross country trip along route 6

I am in the process of planning a trip from wellsboro, pa west to the end of route 6. And then taking interstate 80 back east to the opposite end of route 6 and hopping back on it back to Pennsylvania. The only thing I am asking is if anyone knows some of the small town places that are enjoyable to stop and see. The timeline for this trip would between 10 and 14 days in late spring early summer. I know that is is not a lot of time but I believe it is long enough to see some of what the small towns have to offer that you can't get in a big city. If I posted this in the wrong place sorry, I just registered today.

It sounds like an interesting journey. Small town America has a lot to offer. Sometimes the best way to see what a small town has to offer is to pull up into one, grab an iced tea and snack (or full meal) at the local cafe and ask, "What's interesting around here to see?" Locals will fill you in on the best that they have to offer, often.

What I'm afraid, though, is that you may be underestimating the time needed for this trip. (Either that, or I'm misunderstanding your plans.) Crossing the country from CA (where I-80 starts) back to PA by interstate is going to be a good 5 to 6 days' journey. Going PA to CA via US-6 will take a bit longer than that. Some of US-6 is now combined with I-70, which would help for speed but not necessarily for small towns. Travel along US highways is often slower because the speed limits are lower, you have to deal with traffic lights, and traffic that you can't always pass. Where 600 miles can be done in 10-11 hours on a US Interstate highway, that same 600 miles could take 17 or 18 hours on a US-highway.

If you like "loose" travel -- you could drive 7 or 8 days along US-6, then make a beeline to the nearest interstate highway and head back east. This works for many.

Donna

Thanks for the reply. I did figure out from CA to PA on I-80E would take 2 days of straight driving, but since most mapping programs that I've found don't let you choose exactly what roads to be on I can't figure out an approximate timeframe west.

The idea of loose travel also crossed my mind, because I might get the urge to leave my passenger in some small town and drive back myself. Lol. Ad the amount of scenery and history might be overwhelming and/or envelop us into staying in one place a little longer then planned.

CA to PA on I-80 would take 5 days -- you have to eat, sleep, use the facilities, and REST. Most mapping programs give you the actual DRIVE time, and leave out the time needed for those little necessities! Driving this in two days is a recipe for disaster -- even if there were two of you to drive.

Donna

CA to PA in 2 days? No way.

US-6 ends in Bishop CA. The fastest way back to Wellsboro is 2522 miles via US-6/US-93/Alt-93/I-80/PA-66/US-6. This is a 5 day drive that might be able to be done in 4 long days. It's just not safe driving more than 12 hours a day for multiple days.

Default Planning tips.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

since most mapping programs that I've found don't let you choose exactly what roads to be on
    In the green tool bar above under the title 'Members' you will find the RTA mapping programs where you can create your own routes using 'Waypoints' and you can also find many listed attractions from RTA contributors from their first hand experience of the places they have visited. To help decide where you want to go Google maps also has a drop and drag feature where you can put your cursor on the blue route line and 'bend' the route to your liking. Never follow a mapping program ot GPS route blindly, always make it your own as well as using paper maps on route.

Thanks for the reply. I did figure out from CA to PA on I-80E would take 2 days of straight driving
    As the others have mentioned, this just isn't possible. 48 hours plus rest breaks, sleep, refueling and eating and other delays [construction and congestion] would make it 5 x 10-11 hour days. When map planning figure on 5-600 miles per day which is 9-10 hours on the road, but with no major sight seeing. If you are hoping to spend a couple of hours doing so each day, then you will find travelling 400 miles a day enough to cover while remaining comfortable. You can adjust this to meet your own goals for the trip, for example drive for 550 -600 miles one day and 200/250 the next with half a day or so in one place.

It takes a while to get going, but once you start to do a little research it will all start to come together. Once you have figured out what places appeal to you and got the basics in place, we can help fill in the blanks.

Enjoy the planning, it's a fun part of the journey !