We are planning an RV Trip out West in April. There will be four families. Four RV's. Nine children total ranging in age from 11 - 4 yrs old. We are in the midst of planning our trip. Right now we are trying to decide whether to go with a full services outfit called "Tracks to Trails" or try to do it all ourselves. We estimate that it will cost $90/day to have them manage reservations, planning the routes, etc. Can anyone shed some light on D.I.Y. vs using a Travel Agent? Are there any other obvious things we should be thinking about?
Thanks in advance!!!
Here is our draft itinerary:
Friday, April 12th (Arrival Day)
• Las Vegas - 1 night: Fly into Las Vegas and check into a local hotel
Saturday, April 13th (Travel Day)
• Pick up rigs at Cruise America: Pull up stakes in Vegas, take super shuttle approximately 10.2 miles southeast to Cruise
America shop at 551 N. Gibson Rd in Henderson, NV to pick up rigs.
• Drive to South Rim of Grand Canyon: Drive 265 miles (estimated time
4 hours 41 minutes) to Mather or Trail Village campground at 1 Village
Loop Road in Grand Canyon Village (928) 638-7888
• Enjoy first night in the great outdoors!
Sunday, April 14th (Stationary Exploration Day)
• Grand Canyon National Park - South Rim: Spend the day exploring
Monday, April 15th (Travel Day)
• Sunset Crater Volcano National Monument & O’Leary Group Site:
• depart South Rim of Grand Canyon and drive roughly 94.5 miles (2 hours
& 4 minutes) southeast to Sunset Crater Volcano National Park.
• O’Leary Group Site, Coconino, AZ ( http://goo.gl/maps/6imkH )
• Explore - climb a volcano and explore the lava fields at Sunset Crater.
Tuesday, April 16th
• Wupatki National Monument: Continue South 13.7 miles (approximately
21 minutes) - Explore the ruins at Wupatki
• Sedona: Continue South 34.7 miles (approximately 44 minutes). Arrive at
Sedona and explore the red rock country in and around Sedona.
Wednesday, April 17th
• Sedona: explore Sedona
Thursday, April 18th
• Lake Mead: Travel back toward Vegas via Lake Mead (approximately 251
miles / 4hrs. and 6 min.) Spend last night near Lake Mead.
Friday, April 19th
• Lake Mead: Explore Lake Mead Area. Take a tour of Hoover Dam
Saturday, April 20th
• Las Vegas: Return to Henderson to drop off rigs (14.7 miles / 20
minutes); continue on to Vegas.