1. Default From Rochester, NY along the east coast to?

My boyfriend and I are looking to do a roadtrip in early May, starting in Rochester,NY and traveling along the east coast. We're thinking of going either up to Maine, or going the opposite way down to Virginia Beach. We don't have anything set. We are open to any suggestions. What are some must see places along either way? Thanks for your help!

Green County, Wisconsin

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Its always going to be difficult for anyone to tell you what places might be most interesting to you, but at the very least, we're going to have to have some idea of how much time you have, and what kinds of things you are interested in.

Your thoughts on why you picked Main or Virginia Beach, and what you see as the pros/cons of each would also go a long way towards pointing you in a direction you might like.

3. Default

We're looking to go for about a week. We picked Maine because neither of us have been there. Also we're interested in the quaint towns and the beauty of the area. For Virginia Beach, it was the interest of going to somewhere on the beach and possibly warmer weather. Also we would possibly stop at Colonial Williamsburg. Any suggestions either way would be appreciated. Thanks!

Southern California

My husband and I loved Maine when we were up there this past summer. If you decide to go up there, taking US-1 from Portland up to the Bar Harbor/Acadia NP area is a beautiful drive and has some quaint little towns along the way. Someone with interest in antiques would not be able to resist some of the little antique shops along the route! The Penobscot Bay Bridge is beautiful, both the new one and the "old" one. Tooling around Bar Harbor and also Acadia NP is worth some time, as well. We allotted four days in Maine and wished we'd had more time!

Western/Central Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by dani1353 View Post
    For Virginia Beach, it was the interest of going to somewhere on the beach and possibly warmer weather.
    For laying around on the beach, Maine is pretty good, too. For swimming in the ocean, not so much - particularly in the areas nearer to Acadia. However, I was at Wells Beach in August and the water was "warm for Maine" - approaching 60 degrees. Since you're planning this trip in the May, I'd expect that this trip would be an either/or - Maine will be cooler in temperature than Virginia Beach almost for certain. But you will be there before the height of the tourist season, and therefore US-1 will be a much more enjoyable drive.

Joplin MO

If you want water warm enough to swim in May, you are going to have to go a lot farther south than Virginia Beach!