1. Default Pittsburgh to Boston? Cape Cod? Mystic, CT??? Who knows???

Hi! I'm new on here. I've just recently been given the job to come up with a road trip for myself, Dad, Mom and 7 yr old daughter. We would be going in the summer months sometime. Taking about 9-10 days. Leaving from Pittsburgh. Initially considered going out West, however I'm thinking of going further East. My Father is interested in historical sites (as are the rest of the adults), Mom wants to shop, my daughter wants the beach, and I just want to have a vacation!! LOL!! Anyway, I know there are some forts and historical site in the NY region. I was thinking of swinging over to CT, VT or Maine. Not really sure. We have all travelled a good bit, but none of us have ever been to the New England areas!! The thought of exploring it with my parents is really exciting for me, but I want to keep it interesting and fun for my daughter to. We've had a rough year and she and I deserve some time to get our minds off things!!
    Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions you can give. I've been reading some of the other posts and everyone seems so helpful!!

Tucson, AZ

Default A Loop with Something for Everyone

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

First, let me applaud your instinct to go east rather than west. There are so many great destinations within a day or so to the east that meet your group's various desires that you can spend much more time seeing stuff instead of getting to stuff. For the same reason, a loop trip should work well for you, taking different routes eastbound and westbound so that you're always seeing new stuff. Consider just one possibility, described going clockwise.

Start out by heading north through the Allegheny National Forest to Niagara Falls, then cross New York on US-20 following the old Erie Canal, and stopping at laces like Seneca Falls, the birthplace of the Suffragette Movement. Turn north and head up the Hudson River to places like Lake George and Ticonderoga for some pre-Revolutionary War history, then across Vermont on US-4 with a couple of short side trips to Calvin Coolidge's preserved hometown in Plymouth and Quechee Gorge near White River Junction. I-89 and US-4 would then take you to t5he Portsmouth NH - York/Kittery ME area for some outlet shopping, beaches and the like before heading down to Salem and Boston for more incredible history. Cape Cod is not out of the question, but can get very hectic and tourist-clogged in high season.

Coming home, I-84 would take you by Sturbridge Village in south central Massachusetts and both Mark Twain's and Harriet Beacher Stowe's homes in West Hartford where they're actually next door neighbors. You could even continue south on I-81 from Scranton to Hershey PA for some chocolate and an Amusement Park, and perhaps a tour of Amish Country, Gettysburg, or even include all the museums and monuments of Washington DC before completing the loop back to Pittsburgh.