Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 10 day trip from Dallas to Montreal

Hello forum,

I'm a road tripper accustomed to travel in every season across the US. I haven't taken one from these two points: Dallas to Montreal. I have about 10 days to spare from Dec 26 to Jan 6 and am considering this road trip.

This is going to be a trip with my wife and son (9 yr old), maybe my brother-in-law(19 yr old) and nephew(14 yr old) as well. I have been to Montreal in December but drove from Boston. It was icy and snowy in Montreal.

How are driving conditions during December in upper US? Going thru Toronto - Kingston or Buffalo - Syracuse would be best? I plan on driving my AWD SUV.

Places to stop? I'm interested in some cities along the way and open to any suggestions for must see spots.

Thanks so much everyone!

Welcome!

The Cleveland to Syracuse area is very prone to huge lake effect snows in the winter. You may want to look at getting to the Albany area and heading up I-87 to Montreal.

Is this 10 days for a round trip? If so, how many days do you want to spend in Montreal? Via direct routes, it's about a 4 day drive each way. I'd look at I-30/I-40/I-81/I-88/I-87.

Everyone have their passports? I believe your nephew would need a notarized parental permission letter in addition.

Default A Good Option

There are at least a half a dozen different ways you could go on this journey, but given your desires and the lake-effect weather that glc alluded to, the way I'd look at for the drive up would be St. Louis, Indianapolis, Sarnia, Toronto, Montréal. St. Louis is just a great tourist city with plenty to see that is interesting to both adults and teens. Indianapolis has the Speedway and museum. Sarnia is just my preferred border crossing north of Detroit - by the way, you will need passports for everyone. Toronto is another great city, and then the Thousand Islands area at the head of the St. Lawrence River and Ottawa, the Canadian capital, are a couple of other great stops. Such a drive would take a minimum of 3½ days, plus whatever time you'd spend stopping along the way, so I really hope you have ten days for the one-way drive and Montréal.

AZBuck

There you go - the northwestern route and the southeastern route, both avoiding the majority of lake effect. If this is a round trip, do both!

I am surprised you guys are saying 3 - 4 days road trip. This s only a 1700 mile trip each way which - if in good weather - it can be done in 28 hrs +/-. Of course I'd stop for a night's sleep but I dont think it would take me 3 days. Perhaps i am missing something? Got the passports things squared away as well as oarents autho for nephew :-). I was just in St. Louis this past July, so i wouldn't stop there again. And yes, this would be a 10 day total trip (round trip). Thanks again for all great inputs. I love this forum...

1700 miles certainly should be a 3 day trip, at the very minimum.

Back to back 850 mile days are simply not safe, and there is no reason to put your family in danger by trying to push your body beyond what it can safely do (and yes, this is far too much to do safely even with multiple drivers). It should really go without saying that consecutive 15+ hour days in the car are not going to be enjoyable for any child, much less leave any time over for extra stops along the way..

If you are going to do this in 3 days each way, the only stops you should be looking at are overnights, gas, food, and bathroom stops.

The route I suggested is 1920 miles, not 1700. This is 3 VERY LONG days and you would need overnights in Nashville and Hagerstown MD.

The route Buck suggested is 1760 miles if you take US-69 to I-44. Overnights need to be St. Louis and Flint.

I see what you guys are saying, but... I just came this past July from a 1500 mile road trip from Tulsa to Kansas City to St Louis to Miami with my wife, my 9 yr old son and two nieces, one 10 and the other 11. We stopped for a weekend in KC and spent 4th of July in St Louis, but then it was a straight shot to Atlanta for a sleep and ten straight to Miami. We brought plenty of movies and games and activities and whatnot... They had a blast and we drove all the way with no problems. So i think it can be done in the most two days, since we would stop for one night sleep. That being said, i do NOT want to jeopardize the safety of my loved ones. So assuming the road is not in its best conditions due to ice/snow and other effects, lets say i do spend 3 days on the road. Then thats another 3 days on the road back. Total of 6 days. Gives me only 4 days in Montreal. May not be worthy the trip then. I might have to consider other options/places. I wanted to go to Montreal because it will be our 12th anniversary and we spend our 6th anniversary there. But this may not work out...

The ONLY way I'd try to do this in less than 3 days is if your B-I-L has a license and can share in the driving equally with you and your wife. You would rigidly follow "speed run" procedures.

6 hours awake - 3 driving and 3 navigating - then 3 hour nap. Repeat.

Driving from St. Louis to Miami in 2 days is pretty reasonable. Atlanta to Miami is certainly what we would consider a long day, but you can make it work.

The problem is that to get from Dallas to Montreal in 2 days, you'd have to drive significantly more than that. For comparison sake, it would be like driving Kansas City to Atlanta on day one, and then on day 2, not only driving to Miami, but then immediately turning around and driving back to Orlando the same day. 600-650 mile days in the car are reasonable. Trying to do back to back days of 850-900 miles really are not, and even if you do arrive safely, you're going to be so cranky and tired, you're going to have a hard time enjoying the rest of your trip.

If you don't consider 4 days to be enough time in Montreal, and you want to drive to your destination, I would strongly recommend you find a destination a little closer to home.