1. Default Roadtrip San Francisco - Vancouver - San Francisco

Hi all,

I could use some help and hopefully you'll have some good ideas/tips...We're two girls from Amsterdam and next May (2013) will be planning a roadtrip from San Francisco to Vancouver. We've been thinking about doing the coastal route north and inland way back, but since we have no experience in this area at all we'd welcome any suggestions people might have when it comes to route, places to visit, sightseeing, etc. Every suggestion is welcome. We have 24 days to stay, but we do want to stay about 4 days in SF and Vancouver or do you think that's too much?

Help? :)

Joplin MO

I would do it opposite - coastal going south so the scenic pullouts will be on your side of the road.

It sounds like you have plenty of time. It's possible to drive from SF to Vancouver in 2 days on the Interstates without sightseeing. Make sure you are allowed to take your rental car into Canada.

South of England.

Default Lots of options.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

You have a nice amount of time for your trip and you are thinking along the right lines of taking a different route each way. By searching throughout the forums and RTA planning pages in the tool bars above you will find a lot of useful info. If you scroll down this page you will find 'Similar Threads' that you can read and repeat as often as needed. There is much to see in both directions like the Golden Gate Rec area, Napa Valley, Point Reyes National seashore, the various coastal Redwoood site, Oregon sand dunes, Olympic NP, Seattle and on the way back perhaps Mt Ranier, Columbia River Gorge, Portland, Crater Lake, Mt Shasta, Lassen forest and Volcanic park to mention a few. If you head south along the coast you will have the Ocean on your side of the road.

I would get a good map and do a little reading and as you progress with your planning keep asking questions and we will help fill in the blanks.

You will need to make sure that you are allowed to take your rental into Canada [shouldn't be a problem] and if you 2 girls under the age of 25 you could face 'Young driver fees' on top of your rental.

4. Default

Thanks guys. I like the tip about going back south via the coastal route, maybe wouldn't have thought of that by myself but definitely makes sense!

We're a couple of slightly older girls, so age fee shouldn't be a problem. lol

Tucson, AZ

Default Pacific Northwest

Welkom! Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

A few years a go we had a regular contributor from that area, and I gathered up a number of her posts and recommendations here. That would be a great place to start to get ideas. Once you have a general idea of how much of what (shore/mountains, history/scenery, urban/rural) you want to see we can be of further help directing you to other places by the best routes to make the best use of your time. But I will say that your general plan to take your time and see both the coast and interior is an excellent one, and you have enough time to see quite a bit at your leisure. I would plant one other idea in the back of your head, and that is that it is not necessary to do only the coast up and only the interior on the way back (or vice versa). You can do something like a figure '8' where you do some of each on both legs.

I've done a few trips in that general area and my personal favorites include the redwood forests around Orick CA, Crater Lake, the northern Oregon coast, The Columbia River Gorge, Mount Hood, Mount Ranier, the Olympic Peninsula, Stanley Park in Vancouver, and some of the islands in the Straight of Georgia such as Salt Spring which are reachable by ferry.